Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love the Generac I have on my 27/60 Dixie .The only thing that bothers me about it is at low idle it constantly backfires . Other than that its a beast.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Worked for a company before starting my biz, had a fleet of Dixie's with the generac and loved every minute running them.

With proper maintenance, we always had Generacs on machines pushing 2000 hours and still ran like a top. 33's behind 72" decks on down.

Now, our Dixie run-behind mower has a 27 generac on a 52" deck. Been flawless for the age and never lacks on power.

Compared to Briggs, Kawi, and any Kohlers I've happened to run through the years, the generac out-performs them all. They've always been a true horsepower unit with loads of torque which comes in handy in the spring when we have accounts that are growing 12" a week.

They will suck gas though in the heavy parts of the season, but like now when the grass is thin, they compare to other brands.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Thanks, I hear the 33 Genny is as stout in power as the 36 Briggs or 35 Kaw? I just wanted to clarify because I have heard a few issues with rods that's all.
in 2006 I bought my first 33hp Generac I hated that thing My Kohlers EFI was better on gas But seem like each time I bought one the better the fuel got Now own 4 33hp Gen.
My 2006 has 1956 hrs on it I have never touch it beside adjust the valves

On my 2010 a valve set pop out at 1k hrs

2011 not touch it or my 2013

I run 10w30 Castrol
I know 2 guys has 36BS and 35Kaw They drink more fuel then my 2006 does The guy has the 35 Kaw his been in the shop 4 times for motor problems one time was 2 days after he got it back
The guy has 36BS bought that mower right when the drought started and now he cant make payments so think its up forsale only has 100 hrs on it

I have 3 3372 and 1 3360 and dang that 60 will cut tall grass 72'' does ok but the 60'' will pull away from 72'' mowers in tall grass 24''+
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I ran Dixies with Gens for years. Probably a dozen machines and never a grenade. Same with my home generators. No engine survives an over rev for long.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
in 2006 I bought my first 33hp Generac I hated that thing My Kohlers EFI was better on gas But seem like each time I bought one the better the fuel got Now own 4 33hp Gen.
My 2006 has 1956 hrs on it I have never touch it beside adjust the valves

On my 2010 a valve set pop out at 1k hrs

2011 not touch it or my 2013

I run 10w30 Castrol
I know 2 guys has 36BS and 35Kaw They drink more fuel then my 2006 does The guy has the 35 Kaw his been in the shop 4 times for motor problems one time was 2 days after he got it back
The guy has 36BS bought that mower right when the drought started and now he cant make payments so think its up forsale only has 100 hrs on it

I have 3 3372 and 1 3360 and dang that 60 will cut tall grass 72'' does ok but the 60'' will pull away from 72'' mowers in tall grass 24''+
Thanks for all the help you all, so is a 33 Genie enough for the 72? or would you prefer more? On normal grass the 72 is a more productive mower over the 60 isn't it?

There is a guy on Ebay who sells a Generac 33 that has high compression pistons and a bigger carb and he claims he has never had any failures out of them and they make 10% more power than stock but you have got to run 93 octane.

I mow some roadway areas that go for a month without being cut, do you think this would be better for a 72?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Realslowww,

Just courious, you have mentioned twice now that you have "heard of rod problems" on the Generac engines... Did you "hear" this from a person that ones one and had a problem? Or did you "hear" of this on forums such as this? Or perhaps, you have one with a thrown rod?

The reason I ask this is because there is a ton of great information by people who know what they are talking about, then there is a lot of mis-information on forums like this that seems to end up spreading like wildfire and it's not just with Generac... While on the other side of the coin, it's the important information that never always seems to be fully posted!

For example... Joe Blow has a 6 month old XYZ brand mower that has a rear wheel that keeps falling off. Now the ABC brand engine on it is smoking... Anyone had this problem, and what do I do now?

When in reality, the whole story might be that Joe Blow rolled the machine over right after he purchased it and bent an axle/wheel and broke the A/F mount and A/F housing...

So now the wheel keeps coming loose because the rim is bent (not getting correct torque on nuts/bolts) or the axle is bent causing flex in the rim, thus the nuts/bolts keep coming loose and wheel falls off... Oh, then there is the broken A/F housing that he did notice was broken, but decided to duct tape it 2 weeks later when he had some time.

Next thing you know, Joe Blows neighbor who has the same exact mower had a flat tire, he took it off to put a tube in it while he was babysitting the kids, got distracted and didn't get the wheel nuts/bolts tight on his mower and 3 weeks later his wheel falls off...

Well, there we go, now we have 2 people with an XYZ brand mower that is a POS because the wheels keep falling off! And so on, and so on...

So if you have just "heard" of problems with a given brand, keep in mind that most, not all, but most problems could be prevented to begin with.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

talk to a couple different dealers who said they could let rods go, they said it was a good motor thou.

Most people I talk to feel the good Kaws will go more hours.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the help you all, so is a 33 Genie enough for the 72? or would you prefer more? On normal grass the 72 is a more productive mower over the 60 isn't it?

There is a guy on Ebay who sells a Generac 33 that has high compression pistons and a bigger carb and he claims he has never had any failures out of them and they make 10% more power than stock but you have got to run 93 octane.

I mow some roadway areas that go for a month without being cut, do you think this would be better for a 72?
33hp I don't need any more HP 33 has it For what I do 90% of time

I cant tell you what will work for you.
You going have to figure that out on your own.
72'' is more productive then my 60'' in open areas
Doing ditch banks I rather be on my 60'' I have more control with them most small ditch banks here are 4-5-6 foot wide on the road side
If you looking for more HP then buy a 40hp generac that they sell on Ebay

You keep talking about Kaw Then buy one tell us all what you think about it'
anything will throw a rod if you don't care of the motor you are running.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No the Gennie's are fine, What I like about the BB Kaw and Briggs is they are bigger more impressive looking motors, kinda of like the drag guy with a blower coming out of his car hood for bragging rights.

I can get a BB 36 Briggs for 1679 shipped, the problem is I may have to do mods to make it fit my Super Z where on a Gen I just have to modify the exhaust and carb intake slightly because other than that it is a plug in and go.

He claims the modded Gen is noticeably more powerful than any stock BB. I also researched this in the Mud boating community and they say the Gen is a great motor but a lot of them stressed because parts could be hard to get the other brands were at times more desirable.

Overall they were saying the lightly modded Gen that is what you can get on Ebay was a great product and $ for $ outperformed the other BB easily.

Gas consumption is a concern because it uses a bigger carb, I would definitely upgrade to 26's on the rear with this motor update for more traction as you said because of ditch work.

Thankyou for helping me.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
No the Gennie's are fine, What I like about the BB Kaw and Briggs is they are bigger more impressive looking motors, kinda of like the drag guy with a blower coming out of his car hood for bragging rights.

I can get a BB 36 Briggs for 1679 shipped, the problem is I may have to do mods to make it it my Super Z where on a Gen I just have to modify the exhaust and carb intake slightly because other than that it is a plug in and go.

He claims the modded Gen is noticeably more powerful than any stock BB. I also researched this in the Mud boating community and they say the Gen is a great motor but a lot of them stressed because parts could be hard to get the other brands were at times more desirable.

Thankyou for helping me.
If you going have to mods to get it to work My self I rather just buy a motor the replaces what I got Faster less down time Mower side wire for a Generac wont plug in to a BS So you will have buy that
I just look at Generac they now offer 33 40 44 50 hp
Mud boating will give 10x the stress on any motor

If you are looking for the look then trade the Z in for the BadBoy so have a racing wing on the back