Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My Super z has a wing, the BB Mower is plain ugly and looks cobbed together.

Where did you see the Genie's up to 50 HP?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

A friend of mine has been an electrical contractor for years. A large portion of their work involves installing home/business backup generators. When I had him wire my home for a standby generator he cautioned me to stay far away from Generac. His experience with them in power generation was not good. He actually will not sell them. Perhaps power generation is different but they had basically the same gas engines on them. Air cooled engines probably get a bad rap a lot of times when poor maintenance was the root cause of a failure. Most water-cooled automotive engines have become so reliable and maintenance free that guys think an air cooled engine just needs gas to keep running. I have a 14HP Kohler Command that was new in 1994. Nothing outside of filters, oil, and keeping the cooling fins free of trash. Others can't seem to get 20 hrs out of anything before it grenades.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard poor customer service out of Generac on their corporate end?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
A friend of mine has been an electrical contractor for years. A large portion of their work involves installing home/business backup generators. When I had him wire my home for a standby generator he cautioned me to stay far away from Generac. His experience with them in power generation was not good. He actually will not sell them. Perhaps power generation is different but they had basically the same gas engines on them. Air cooled engines probably get a bad rap a lot of times when poor maintenance was the root cause of a failure. Most water-cooled automotive engines have become so reliable and maintenance free that guys think an air cooled engine just needs gas to keep running. I have a 14HP Kohler Command that was new in 1994. Nothing outside of filters, oil, and keeping the cooling fins free of trash. Others can't seem to get 20 hrs out of anything before it grenades.
Not sure if his statement is coming before or after Briggs and Stratton bought out the generator portion of the business from Generac as I've also heard this too. That is why Briggs started offering generators, and Generac generators come with Briggs motors now.

Generac kept the engine portion of the business.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I heard that the LCO that maintains Generac's property uses equipment that has diesel engines...
WTF, whats next that you heard that they are Packers Fans?

Realslowww,

You obviously do not care for anything about Generac based on what you keep "hearing"... Which now includes "hearing poor customer from corporate"... And tomorrow it will be that you heard...

As I said from the begining, "opinions will vary"!

You have "heard" a lot of input here so far from many different people and yet still seem to question it all?

Then go buy a Briggs & Stratton Big Block, or a Kawasaki FX Series engine and be happy! I "hear" they will last for ever, never have any problems and have great customer service"!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
Well, I heard that the LCO that maintains Generac's property uses equipment that has diesel engines...

Realslowww,

You obviously do not care for anything about Generac based on what you keep "hearing"... Which now includes "hearing poor customer from corporate"... And tomorrow it will be that you heard...

You have "heard" a lot of input here so far from many different people and yet still seem to question it all?

Then go buy a Briggs & Stratton Big Block, or a Kawasaki FX Series engine and be happy! I "hear" they will last for ever, never have any problems and have great customer service"!
Well said
Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally can't wait until either....

A.) I trash the 27 Kohler in my mini skid so I can replace it with a generac,

or

B.) I have money to throw around and will just slap a 33 generac into the machine.

I feel like it would really make my mini sing and give it more torque.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post

Realslowww,

I have heard from dealers on poor customer service as well as getting parts can be a problem and I called Generac personally to get some info on their products and was not overly thrilled with how they directed me on getting the information and the reference they gave me sucked because they had never sold any of the 33 horse motors.

The guy who sells them on Ebay by the name of Wolf gave me the best info and he was not a dealer of finished products just the motors.

Nobody locally sells them here, but Kaw ,Briggs, Honda and Kohler everybody sells them so I can see where parts could be a problem. You guy's commenting on this act as though I am doing the he said she said, well why is it I have been in business off and on for 30 years and have never owned one but have owned multiple of the other brands? Because Generac motors are not that well known and obviously have limited distribution. It is better to be safe than sorry that is all.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I have heard from dealers on poor customer service as well as getting parts can be a problem and I called Generac personally to get some info on their products and was not overly thrilled with how they directed me on getting the information and the reference they gave me sucked because they had never sold any of the 33 horse motors.

The guy who sells them on Ebay by the name of Wolf gave me the best info and he was not a dealer of finished products just the motors.

Nobody locally sells them here, but Kaw ,Briggs, Honda and Kohler everybody sells them so I can see where parts could be a problem. You guy's commenting on this act as though I am doing the he said she said, well why is it I have been in business off and on for 30 years and have never owned one but have owned multiple of the other brands? Because Generac motors are not that well known and obviously have limited distribution. It is better to be safe than sorry that is all.
If nobody sells them locally why even think about buying one Buy what you know.
Im a Kohler guy but after having 4 Generac's I'll keep buying that motor if they offer it I can get any Generac part with in 2 days But I spent less on my Generacs vs my Kohlers
I know more people running Generacs vs the other brands you talking about
They are well known with Bobcats and Dixie Coppers
Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want the Gen because # 1 it is American made and # 2 it is easy to make it work for my app. The Dixie dealer went under and their are no Bobcat dealers either. My town is only 125,000 people and mostly idiots, we have a State University here.

Thanks for all the help.
Closed Thread