Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Jeff in AL's Avatar
Jeff in AL Jeff in AL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Alabama
Posts: 450
Realslowww,

You said:
"I have heard from dealers on poor customer service as well as getting parts can be a problem and I called Generac personally to get some info on their products and was not overly thrilled with how they directed me on getting the information and the reference they gave me sucked because they had never sold any of the 33 horse motors".

Here we go again with the "I have heard"...
I have no idea what the public side of Generac customer service is like OR what the public side of customer service is like for any OEM I deal with is like. I don't deal with them, I deal with the Dealer side IF need be for the OEM's I deal with. A dead give away that you had an idiot was the supposed fact that you were told that they had "never sold any of the 33 horse motors".
For the record, I am an Authorized Generac Service Center and have NO problem at all getting parts for the engines I deal with!



You said:
"The guy who sells them on Ebay by the name of Wolf gave me the best info and he was not a dealer of finished products just the motors".

The most important information regarding this that I highly doubt you asked "Wolf" is, "What is the warranty on this engine, and how do I obtain Warranty should I need it"?



You said:
"Nobody locally sells them here, but Kaw ,Briggs, Honda and Kohler everybody sells them so I can see where parts could be a problem. You guy's commenting on this act as though I am doing the he said she said, well why is it I have been in business off and on for 30 years and have never owned one but have owned multiple of the other brands? Because Generac motors are not that well known and obviously have limited distribution. It is better to be safe than sorry that is all".

Well, I really don't have much to say here that hasn't already been said...
Other than what does being in this business on and off for 30 years have to do with anything? Fact is, Generac has been around for the same 30 years you have been mowing.



You said:
"I want the Gen because # 1 it is American made and # 2 it is easy to make it work for my app. The Dixie dealer went under and their are no Bobcat dealers either. My town is only 125,000 people and mostly idiots, we have a State University here".

Ummm... I don't have much to say here either!


Look, I have no stock in Generac, they are not paying me to say what I have said. I am just telling you MY dealings with them, how I feel about their engines and what my customers say/feel about the Generac engines!

Honestly, I don't care if you buy a Generac engine or not, it's your money! But I think you would be foolish to do so being that you don't care for them to begin with, but more importantly that you said there are no Generac Dealers near you!


Just my opinion!
__________________
Jeff in AL

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
  #32  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,048
Jeff....you nailed it...
Its all about the service dept...the guys in the back that keep em running...
If I ran a dealership...with Dutch and RestroRob as my techs....I could put Techumseh and Chonda engines on everything I sold...and still keep my customers happy....
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
  #33  
Old 09-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Jeff in AL's Avatar
Jeff in AL Jeff in AL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Alabama
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Jeff....you nailed it...
Its all about the service dept...the guys in the back that keep em running...
If I ran a dealership...with Dutch and RestroRob as my techs....I could put Techumseh and Chonda engines on everything I sold...and still keep my customers happy....

Well, I hear that Tecumseh went under and the Chonda's don't make good power though?
__________________
Jeff in AL

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
  #34  
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
Well, I hear that Tecumseh went under and the Chonda's don't make good power though?
That wouldn't be a problem for RestroRob.......... and Dutch...
These guys are good.....they don't even need new parts most of the time..
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
  #35  
Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
I am going to see if I can find a good dealer around not further than say 25 miles, my local dealers do not carry them. I talked to Mr. Wolf about the warranty and he said 3 years and said if you get the 10% more powerful one that voids the warranty. He sold to alot of ultra light and boat apps. I like talking to this guy because if there are any problems he sees them

He builds them so he knows the motors, when I called Generac it just seemed like their customer service did not have it together when they gave me a dealer who had never sold the product to get info on it from.

The person I talked to did not seem to know their own product.

When I call Hustler they return my call within like 2 to 3 hours with the info I was looking for, I made a few calls on these Generacs and seemed to get a run around. Like I posted the guy on Ebay was by far the most well informed and he says it is a great product.

Thanks for the help, more than likely I will get one because the 2 reasons I stated.
  #36  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I am going to see if I can find a good dealer around not further than say 25 miles, my local dealers do not carry them. I talked to Mr. Wolf about the warranty and he said 3 years and said if you get the 10% more powerful one that voids the warranty. He sold to alot of ultra light and boat apps. I like talking to this guy because if there are any problems he sees them

He builds them so he knows the motors, when I called Generac it just seemed like their customer service did not have it together when they gave me a dealer who had never sold the product to get info on it from.

The person I talked to did not seem to know their own product.

When I call Hustler they return my call within like 2 to 3 hours with the info I was looking for, I made a few calls on these Generacs and seemed to get a run around. Like I posted the guy on Ebay was by far the most well informed and he says it is a great product.

Thanks for the help, more than likely I will get one because the 2 reasons I stated.
Does Hustler offer them if so Buy one from them Then that dealer would have to warranty it
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
  #37  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Hustler doesn't sell Generac, their motor selection are terrible.
  #38  
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Hustler doesn't sell Generac, their motor selection are terrible.
I forgot something Did you know Generac is owned by Briggs Stratton since 01 or 02
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
  #39  
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Jeff in AL's Avatar
Jeff in AL Jeff in AL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Alabama
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I am going to see if I can find a good dealer around not further than say 25 miles, my local dealers do not carry them. I talked to Mr. Wolf about the warranty and he said 3 years and said if you get the 10% more powerful one that voids the warranty. He sold to alot of ultra light and boat apps. I like talking to this guy because if there are any problems he sees them

He builds them so he knows the motors, when I called Generac it just seemed like their customer service did not have it together when they gave me a dealer who had never sold the product to get info on it from.

The person I talked to did not seem to know their own product.

When I call Hustler they return my call within like 2 to 3 hours with the info I was looking for, I made a few calls on these Generacs and seemed to get a run around. Like I posted the guy on Ebay was by far the most well informed and he says it is a great product.

Thanks for the help, more than likely I will get one because the 2 reasons I stated.

Realslowww,

Pardon my French if I sound like an a$$ here, but you really need to stop going by what you "hear" and gather some facts BEFORE you spend your money!

First of all, you already said there wasn't any Authorized Generac Dealer near you... Again, you will need parts and possibly service at some point!

You say that you talked to Mr. Wolf and HE said there is a 3 year Warranty, and no Warranty if you get the modded engine... I completely agree with the second part of that where there is NO Warranty on the modded engine... However, I disagree about the 3 year Warranty... See attached Warranty Statement From Generac... Hell, I can tell you it has a 5 year Warranty if you buy it from me... That would suck 2.5 years down the road you find you only really had a 2 year Warranty, wouldn't it?

You said that you like talking to this guy because if there are any problems he sees them... AND...He build them so he knows the motors... AND... Like I posted the guy on Ebay was by far the most well informed and he says it is a great product.
So by that I assume that you feel that us people here that have given you our time, input and opinions are chopped liver and don't know what we are talking about?

Like I said earlier, I don't care if you buy a Generac engine or not, it's your money!

But, like you said earlier yourself, it is better to be safe than sorry...
I think you should heed your own advice and be safe to get a brand that you can have serviced and have parts available locally, than to be sorry and spend money on something that you cannot!

Just my 2 cents...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Generac GTH-GTV Warranty Statement.pdf (87.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________
Jeff in AL

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
  #40  
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Jeff in AL's Avatar
Jeff in AL Jeff in AL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Alabama
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I forgot something Did you know Generac is owned by Briggs Stratton since 01 or 02
Not exactly true...
Briggs & Stratton only acquired the "Portable Power" portion of Generac, which is portable generators and pressure washers.

Generac still handles the stand-by generators and large OHVI engines, which are also used on their stand-by units.
__________________
Jeff in AL

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.07024 seconds with 8 queries