Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New Holland CT 175 opinions????

I'm in the market to get a skid steer and found a guy that has a New Holland CT 175 with 1300 hours and new tracks 200 hours ago for $12,500. Does anyone have any experience with this machine and what are things I should look for when inspecting it?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a 2008
Old 01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay away from anything pre 2009. I have a 2011 c175 that I have been happy with. I got it for the price I paid for my L175 machines . If I had to pay the same price for it as a comparable machine we probably would of gone with a different brand.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AEL thanks for the advice. What is so bad about them?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can Google and see a few of the problems.

I would buy a newer one like ael said though I like them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

problems with the drive motors, cabs where horrible, bottom rollers and idlers went out with only a few hundred hours.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad machine for that money if taken care of. I had a 2007 and liked it...lights were super bright, front idler carriage had the most slop I've ever seen @ 500 hrs. so I shimmed both sides over an 1/8" vertically and laterally. Front and rear idlers are wet bath with plug...so keep your eyes on them.

Like most Nh that machine was small in size, but very strong in lift and pushing abilities. Cab height is great too - the Takeuchi TL130's with tall cabs I found snag every limb in the yard it seems. Drive sticks were on the stiff side though. Battery a pain to get to if boom is down.

Met another guy that has an 08' since new...had 1800 trouble free hours. It's hard taking anecdotal evidence on the web and making a fair judgement, imo.

BTW - I have found that drive motors can seem unresponsive and have wrongly concluded they are weak, when in reality it was the tracks that weren't tensioned equally - one was looser than the other. Tightened them up and drive motors were equally responsive.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Swanny, thank you for the advice. I'm waiting to get some photos from the seller and I'll throw them up here to see what everyone thinks. It seems to me for the money that it is a good deal but I do not want to be buying something that will nickle and dime me to death.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Not a bad machine for that money if taken care of. I had a 2007 and liked it...lights were super bright, front idler carriage had the most slop I've ever seen @ 500 hrs. so I shimmed both sides over an 1/8" vertically and laterally. Front and rear idlers are wet bath with plug...so keep your eyes on them.

Like most Nh that machine was small in size, but very strong in lift and pushing abilities. Cab height is great too - the Takeuchi TL130's with tall cabs I found snag every limb in the yard it seems. Drive sticks were on the stiff side though. Battery a pain to get to if boom is down.

Met another guy that has an 08' since new...had 1800 trouble free hours. It's hard taking anecdotal evidence on the web and making a fair judgement, imo.

BTW - I have found that drive motors can seem unresponsive and have wrongly concluded they are weak, when in reality it was the tracks that weren't tensioned equally - one was looser than the other. Tightened them up and drive motors were equally responsive.

I will be the first to admit that my c175 would get way out pushed by my t190. All of my experience is based on a 2008 c185 I owned and a 2010 c175 I currently own. In one year I had 2 drive motors go out, 2 bottom rollers, and a front idler. All to the tune of around 14k in parts alone . The machine was low low hours when all this happened. And was not abused what so ever.

My current c175 only has around 220 hours on it and has been great minus a faulty fuel gauge, a/c pump that went bad . I also have 3 2009 or 2010 L175 machines with a total of 3000+- hours with not a single problem.

I'm not saying all the machines are bad , it is my own experience and is very possible I had a lemon.
Posted via Mobile Device