Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Its up to 4 and he has 7 hours left.

I know my wishlist but am i going to kick myself later if i get one like this without zts?
http://bit.ly/1cud4nK
Are the expanding tracks that useful vs a fixed track?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't be an ass, it's worth every cent of 6 grand. I have a 320 bobcat mini which is the same size. It's small enough to get through a 3 foot gate yet big enough to do big boy work with. I use the 320 a lot more than I thought I would. The only thing that I have negative to say is mine is tippy and expandable tracks would be a plus. The positive thing is I learned a couple of tricks to make the platform more stable though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a wacker 3503 it's a lot bigger machine but the wacker is a quality built machine and zts is nice but I haven't wished for it in the two years I've had my machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It ended up going for 7200. I think ive narrowed my search down to kubota u17, deere 17zts or the kobelco zts. I noticed the deere i was looking at didnt have the controls on the flip down arm rests but instead on the front of the machine. This seems really uncomfortable. Anyone ran both styles and can throw me some feedback?
Rarely will i be in the ex for 8 hrs but still...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It ended up going for 7200. I think ive narrowed my search down to kubota u17, deere 17zts or the kobelco zts. I noticed the deere i was looking at didnt have the controls on the flip down arm rests but instead on the front of the machine. This seems really uncomfortable. Anyone ran both styles and can throw me some feedback?
Rarely will i be in the ex for 8 hrs but still...
How much work do you actually do that demands zts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive only rented a mini a handful of times, half of them was a zts. It was nice not having to worry about the tail. Im not experienced in an ex yet. But the whole reason i want this size machine is because most of my jobs are in backyards with no skidsteer access so we end up doing everything by hand
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ive only rented a mini a handful of times, half of them was a zts. It was nice not having to worry about the tail. Im not experienced in an ex yet. But the whole reason i want this size machine is because most of my jobs are in backyards with no skidsteer access so we end up doing everything by hand
I'm not a salesman so bare with me.

I bought the 1.5 ton when I was plumbing pools on a daily basis. Many of the yards had fences removed but many didn't. I was able to gain access through 3' man gates with the mini. A 3' gate is framed 40" so you can remove the gate and hardware and sneak through with a little room to spare.

If you think that you're only going to use the mini occasionally you're way wrong, you'll use it a lot more than a lot. From scratching the ground to fine grading. From pulling small trees to fairly big rocks can be moved by using a little finesse. I fabbed up blades and mounts to make the mini more useful, bought an auger for it and have a thumb underway for it right now.

There are a few things that I would have liked to do with my set up but prolly won't. One is getting a one tone dump truck to pull it with and another is the same size skid steer as a compliment. This may sound funny but using the skid steer as a complimenting attachment will make you more productive and you'll last longer in the trades.

As far as the zts goes, only one time did I wish I had it. One time in over ten years is all. I don't use my mini that much now but i have made many changes in my business model (one was getting rid of my employees) so I don't need it that much. I will be using it as soon as the weather warms as I have some concrete to pour.

Good luck on your quest and choice of machinery
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
How much work do you actually do that demands zts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Too me, it is stupid not having a zts. Especially with a little one.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Appreciate the advise. I know once i have it i will find tons of uses for it, thats why im just looking to buy and not continue renting. I was contemplating the terex pt30 or bobcat s70 but i already have two skid steers and i know the excavator will be a great compliment to them. In addition to digging my own footings, scratching out patios etc, i plan to hire it out to plumbers and electricians for detail trench work and theres always a chance to upsell some sod or a slab etc.

My only real requirements is a thumb and a quick coupler and fit through a 40" opening
I found a nice JD in virginia but it has those backhoe controls.

I would be interested in seeing your attachments since i also enjoy fabbing stuff.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Appreciate the advise. I know once i have it i will find tons of uses for it, thats why im just looking to buy and not continue renting. I was contemplating the terex pt30 or bobcat s70 but i already have two skid steers and i know the excavator will be a great compliment to them. In addition to digging my own footings, scratching out patios etc, i plan to hire it out to plumbers and electricians for detail trench work and theres always a chance to upsell some sod or a slab etc.

My only real requirements is a thumb and a quick coupler and fit through a 40" opening
I found a nice JD in virginia but it has those backhoe controls.

I would be interested in seeing your attachments since i also enjoy fabbing stuff.
I'll post or mp them when I get a chance. Everything is parked at the ranch. My pics are on flash drives.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Too me, it is stupid not having a zts. Especially with a little one.
That said, I'm sure that your mini is zts.
Posted via Mobile Device