Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
This is in pa. It was a rental so it was run by novices im assuming, thats why its all banged up. Paint doesnt bother me. It has a new undercarriage and the motor was maintained, if the hydraulic seals are good i dont know what else to look for. At the end of the day its ten years old. Very few barn finds when it comes to excavators unfortunately.

This is my first ex, so once it solidifies its place in my lineup i can flip it in a few years and grt something a little fresher. Just dont want a payment on anything right now.
I'm not a novice but if you seen what I've done with rentals you damn sure wouldn't want to buy it lol

It can't be that bad. That's a small machine. Probably worth a road trip to look at it before buying
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I cant find their contact info, just ones in illinois
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its a shame not to have a thumb on a small machine like that, it makes it soooo much more useful. 10500 is not way over priced for that machine though, just make sure you look at all the joints and connections before you buy....
Old 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I definitely plan to add a thumb. Its plumbed for it. If anyone has a good source for a kit i would appreciate it. Definitely the first thing im buying followed by a grading bucket and root rake
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stuvecorp,
I got the spec sheet on kubota kx41(conventional) and u17(zts) both 1.5 ton exs. The kx41 can lift about 50% more over the side. So i guess thats the argument against zts.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ran both a kx41 and a u17. Ended up buying the U17 so i can tell you that the kx41 cannot lift 50% more over the side of the tracks. And really on a machine that size you shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting or digging over the side of the tracks regardless...

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[/URL]
Well i did the math wrong , dumb. Its more like 30% based on what stat you pick. But i will take your first hand experience over a sales brochure any day. Am i sellin myself short not holding out for zts then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
This is in pa. It was a rental so it was run by novices im assuming, thats why its all banged up. Paint doesnt bother me. It has a new undercarriage and the motor was maintained, if the hydraulic seals are good i dont know what else to look for. At the end of the day its ten years old. Very few barn finds when it comes to excavators unfortunately.

This is my first ex, so once it solidifies its place in my lineup i can flip it in a few years and grt something a little fresher. Just dont want a payment on anything right now.
Look at it like this. A mini excavator in the 1.5 ton class is basically a spare hand that does the light heavy work.

I'm doing a 30 x 30 slab. It dug all the footings in hard ground and spread 18 cyds of base. Two of us working. Paid it's way a tenfold as far as I'm concerned.

Cost is relative. Mine is a 93 so it's got ten years on yours. You wouldn't give me ten grand for it and I wouldn't take fifteen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You speak the truth once again.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And if you do buy, I have a u15 and have a 39" clean up bucket on it, a lightweight bucket but it handles it amazingly well, so don't skimp on the width...