Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah (10 Hours) - OIL EVERYWHERE

I'm hoping someone here will admit to this stupid error as well. I would hate to think I was the only one that did this....LOL..

I changed the oil and filter after the the last cut (10.5 hours) then saved the unit till the next cut. Well today was the time for that next cut. So I open the doors to the building, remove the oil cap to check oil level (it's a habit), then replace the cap with intentions on checking the oil level again (habit) then the cell phone rings.

I answer the phone, talk a few minutes, then jumped on the mower and start cutting grass. About six long passes through the yard, I recall that I may have forgotten to tighten the oil cap. SO ... I stop the mower, jump off and sure'nuff, I had forgotten to tighten the cap. Fortunately the long stem held the cap in place, but "there was oil everywhere on the motor and the surrounding area". So, I wait a few minutes for the remaining oil to accumulate in the lower base. I want to see how much oil I lost. Well I lost about a quart-plus . I go to the building and all I have available is a quart of 5w30.

Autozone is about twenty minutes away, I want to finish, and besides I will need some degreaser for cleanup. I poured the quart in, finished cutting the grass (about one hour and twenty minutes). I then drove to Autozone for some Castrol 10w30 and degreaser. Having never experienced using degreaser, I'm standing there lost like a goose looking at te hshelf of degreasers, when a young fellow walks by. So I ask him, "Have you ever experienced using a degreaser"...???

He immediately says Simple Green and Purple Power ... but he prefers Purple Power. SO, armed with a bottle of each, I head home. Upon returning home, I changed the oil to some fresh Castrol 10W30, then tackle the clean up. I was simply amazed as to how well "PURPLE POWER" works. Spray it on (heavily), let it soak for a few minutes then rinse it off (no scrubbing). Amazing

YES.... that's what I did today. With all the Motorcycle, car, truck. mower, and tractor oil changes, that was the first issue.... But it happened to me.....LOL...