Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Bounced checks

I opened up some mail today and found that I had checks from two different customers bounce. One of them is a guy I know... he is kind of a goofball and I can see where he could screw up his checkbook. I'm meeting him tomorrow to get the money plus the bank fee.

The other one is from a lady that we just recently picked up. She lives in my subdivision and we have cut her twice. It's a $50 bi-weekly account. She handed us a check the first time we cut her, and there is another check in the mail as we speak.

How do you handle bad checks? Do you send an invoice with the original amount plus a fee with a letter explaining the situation? Do you call them? Show up to their house?

We're thinking about taking the checks up to her bank to try and cash them to see if the money is in her account instead of depositing them in our account and taking the chance of getting charged another nsf fee.

We will also be requiring cash payments from her once this is cleared up.

How do you deal with these situations?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just another reason to use credit cards
Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I've just recently read that very long thread about the justmowit.com guys. We've been throwing around the idea of getting CC info in the beginning and automatically billing the day after mowing, like they do.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithMowers View Post
I've just recently read that very long thread about the justmowit.com guys. We've been throwing around the idea of getting CC info in the beginning and automatically billing the day after mowing, like they do.
That's what we do. 2nd best choice I have made in the last 5 years.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't help with the bounced check issue, but if someone mowing my lawn requested my credit card info to keep on file, I'd politely tell him to go eff himself.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd prefer it that way. One less bill to remember to pay.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I can't help with the bounced check issue, but if someone mowing my lawn requested my credit card info to keep on file, I'd politely tell him to go eff himself.
I agree. I would just call them explain what happened, ask them to pay this bill in cash+bank fees, if it happened again...well that would be the last time I worked for them.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It happens. Deal with enough people long enough, it will happen again. Send a letter, explain the reason your charging the "extra". First time is a customer courtesy. Second time it will include a $20 charge for your time over and above the banks charges.

I have one customer that is simply a serial offender. He's got the money, (always makes it right). But has bounced no less than 6 checks over the years. Other than that, he is a GREAT customer. Never complains about a price, or a penalty. Just feels like a crap shoot on deposit day.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
And I'd be more than ok with that. We would assume that you don't meet our target customer.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FYI. Just cause the check was returned doesn't mean you can't walk into their bank and get it cashed. If there is money in the acct. the bank will take it. Then bill them for bank fees