Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where to find good help?

Looking to hire a foreman this year. Where have you guys found it's best to find good help?

Craigslist, local paper, references?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

stem cell cloning
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

spitfire If your figure that out let me know . Im looking to do the same thing ... nothing yet . thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Good help

We are having the same issues here in ohio. I just started talking to my local vet reps at employment place so I can not only help fellow vets find a job but they are usually hard working and easy to train. I have found one guy so far but it's only been a week. I hope it helps you guys out.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was spreading salt the other day at the county jail and seen a competitor picking up three people from work release, heck maybe that's a idea.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
I was spreading salt the other day at the county jail and seen a competitor picking up three people from work release, heck maybe that's a idea.
Why didn't you wave at me?

You can lead a liberal to the truth, but you can't make them think.

"I'm tired of liberals dividing this country up into little groups, setting them upon each other, breeding spite and envy, and then having the nerve to accuse conservatives of hatred."
- Allen West

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Best helpers I ever found were hispanic guys, at the corner where day laborers wait to find work. Newspaper ads and Craigslist ads bring in nothing buy lazy slackers, who can never show up for work on time.
Heck,two of my daylabor hires, later became foreman for me as I expanded.
The second best source for me, was high school and college guys from our church's youth dept. They always had to leave too early in the season to return to school though.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've used craigslist in the past. But like anything else, INTERVIEW them! Don't be so quick to hire someone because you are in dire need to fill a position.

I put my ad on craigslist, get a bunch of responses. 80% are BS. Most are probably only replying tso they can tell the local unemployment office they are "trying hard". Of the 20% I find to be half decent, I pick the top few. Then I do phone interviews, and only the top candidates get a face to face interview.

I find this out to be the best method. Take your time, feel them out, and hire the best fit for your company.

No matter where you put your ad, you'll always get BS responses. You just have to sort through them.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Best helpers I ever found were hispanic guys, at the corner where day laborers wait to find work. Newspaper ads and Craigslist ads bring in nothing buy lazy slackers, who can never show up for work on time.
Heck,two of my daylabor hires, later became foreman for me as I expanded.
The second best source for me, was high school and college guys from our church's youth dept. They always had to leave too early in the season to return to school though.
i agree with you, they most of the time seem the most appreciative to have a job and work their butt off for you, but up here in my part of the country, we dont have that to choose from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I've used craigslist in the past. But like anything else, INTERVIEW them! Don't be so quick to hire someone because you are in dire need to fill a position.

I put my ad on craigslist, get a bunch of responses. 80% are BS. Most are probably only replying tso they can tell the local unemployment office they are "trying hard". Of the 20% I find to be half decent, I pick the top few. Then I do phone interviews, and only the top candidates get a face to face interview.

I find this out to be the best method. Take your time, feel them out, and hire the best fit for your company.

No matter where you put your ad, you'll always get BS responses. You just have to sort through them.
yea i agree with this as well. i hired a hispanic guy last year and he worked out good. always wanted to work, never called out. so those guys are definitely good as helpers but do you think you can find any good hispanic guys who can speak english very well? main thing i want for a foreman is someone who can speak english fluently, to communicate with the customers if they have to, but spanish as a second language would be a huge plus in my mind for communicating with the helpers.