Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Black dust from belt wear Exmark TT

So I was cutting today with my Turf Tracer 48" HP with Tri-Adv deck and I noticed a build up of black dust on the front right caster and bracket and also the discharge chute. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak and was carbon build up, but soon realized it was dust coming from the belt, It was enough to coat these parts in a thin film of fine black powder/dust. Wondering if this is normal, its an older model 06, unsure of hours, its the first time I have noticed this, it was fairly obvious. I figured the belt would go but it held up fine, I am going to get a spare belt just in case but my question is. Is this kind of wear/dust normal or is it a sign that the belt is on its way out? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
So I was cutting today with my Turf Tracer 48" HP with Tri-Adv deck and I noticed a build up of black dust on the front right caster and bracket and also the discharge chute. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak and was carbon build up, but soon realized it was dust coming from the belt, It was enough to coat these parts in a thin film of fine black powder/dust. Wondering if this is normal, its an older model 06, unsure of hours, its the first time I have noticed this, it was fairly obvious. I figured the belt would go but it held up fine, I am going to get a spare belt just in case but my question is. Is this kind of wear/dust normal or is it a sign that the belt is on its way out? Thanks.
Its defiantly the belt being older I have a tt hp as well and i dont have any dust from my belt either that or one of your pulleys is rubbing your belt in a weird way and is causing your belt to wear uneven
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spindle/idler going bad? If something is not spinning as freely as everything else... Take the blade belt off and check everything.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I read that title so fast I thought it said black belt on a exmark - I thought, gotta see this - thought it was gonna be a Chuck Norris kinda thing. Oh well, hope this was helpful. Back to what I was doing.