Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
My 2004, Vermeer S-600TX mini skid has been having some heat related issues. It only has 600 hours on the unit. Doesn't get constantly used, but when it does, it gets worked.

What has been happening is that in the hot weather, when you step off the platform and engage the safety controls, and then get back on the machine, you ultimately get slow loader function with no power. Basically like a by-pass valve is sticking and not closing completely. Only does this when the temps are higher in the summer, about 85* or better.

Did a service on the hydro system, no change.

Then, took it to the Vermeer dealer. Had them also check and fix a couple of other minor things while there such as hydro flow test on the loader, fix a engine mount plate that had striped out bolts (quick double nut fix), and replace a throttle cable that was worn.

The found that the pilot controls for the loader wasn't engaging the valves completely due to wear. So the ground the plate around the pilot controls to allow the stick to operate at full travel getting enough pressure through the valve.

But they never found the real issue why the machine was in the shop in the first place. I even went to the shop itself and ran the machine to see if I could duplicate the problem, unfortunately I couldn't due to the temps being in the middle 70's that day.

Told them to look into the mechanics and hydro system to see if there is a valve or otherwise that could be causing the problem. Said they couldn't figure anything out that would be causing the problem.

Paid almost 800 bucks and felt like they really didn't do anything.

Get the machine back, used it again this last week. Temps in the 90's. Same problem started again. This time I dead-headed the auxiliary hydraulic lever, with no attachment, and was able to get my loader functions back after the symptoms started again. In the past I just let the machine cool down, and that sometimes took up to an hour. This time I had a hunch that hydraulic pressure was the culprit.

So, what would you do. I know I didn't "spend" as much money in the shop as some of the big boys do with their bigger equipment, but I felt like they didn't do enough in the time it was there to figure out the problem.

Would you try and get a free diagnosis? Call Vermeer directly? Or am I just whining?

Does yours have the Float button that valve goes bad when it gets hot things runs half speed the valve stays half in
My bothers step son had one did that
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no im just using it as an example that vermeer has been poor at diagnosing problems before... they kept saying that it was a deadman issue when even an idiot would guess it to be the alternator. I would take it to a independent and see what they have to say.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ill see if I can find a parts diagram for it. My guess is that you have hydro shut offs or bypasses when you step off the foot plate. One for the loader, one for the drive. You lose all loader function right? Bucket and up and down?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Does yours have the Float button that valve goes bad when it gets hot things runs half speed the valve stays half in
My bothers step son had one did that
The float function is when the joystick is pushed completely forward. No separate switch per-say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Ill see if I can find a parts diagram for it. My guess is that you have hydro shut offs or bypasses when you step off the foot plate. One for the loader, one for the drive. You lose all loader function right? Bucket and up and down?
There is one diverter valve that will divert the main flow from all hydraulic functions and also the ground drive. The valve and voltage to the valve all were in spec. So it doesn't explain why I still have full ground drive and loss of loader function.

And, I still have loader function. The up and down of the arms, and the movement of the bucket is still there, but it might be 25% of normal. So it's slow and no power. Once it kicks back in, it's almost like a valve of some sort either opens completely, or shuts completely.

When dead-heading the auxiliary hydraulics, I can get the function back. Almost like the problem lies in the auxiliary hydraulic valve somewhere.

To me it doesn't seem like an issue that can't be solved regardless.

I have a parts book, and when I finally have time I will be looking into it. Not sure if it actually has the breakdown of the valves though.

The whole point of taking it to the dealer was to save time in fixing it and keep working on other projects. But at this point, I might be looking into it myself, so any help is highly appreciated.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is your engine working harder when it does it?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just had a thought. I know on my one ztr the wheel motors use very little hydro flow while your loader needs a high gpm for full function. What if your diverter valve is not closing all the way limiting gpm. Does your aux line divert all fluid from the pump so it does not reserculate? We know it has to recerulate all the time when not using aux because loader and drive functions would not require no where near 10 gpm. When you dead head your spiking line pressure thus forcing open the valve. Also the reason why you would have issues when its hot is because whatever does the closing has expanded.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Is your engine working harder when it does it?
Engine acts like it has no load on it compared to normal functions.

Quote:
I just had a thought. I know on my one ztr the wheel motors use very little hydro flow while your loader needs a high gpm for full function. What if your diverter valve is not closing all the way limiting gpm. Does your aux line divert all fluid from the pump so it does not reserculate? We know it has to recerulate all the time when not using aux because loader and drive functions would not require no where near 10 gpm. When you dead head your spiking line pressure thus forcing open the valve. Also the reason why you would have issues when its hot is because whatever does the closing has expanded.

I don't know right now, and I can partially understand why the dealer hasn't figured it out either, though I had more confidence in them than I do now.

Dealer kept saying that if I had limited function from the diverter valve, then the ground speed and power would have still been diminished also, but I still have digging/breakout force from the ground drive like it's still getting proper flow.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See how much the valve is. If its $50 bucks or under I'd just do it
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
See how much the valve is. If its $50 bucks or under I'd just do it
Ya, I'm going to start there if I can't figure anything else out. I'm still wondering if there is another by-pass though somewhere else and will look into it.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Ya, I'm going to start there if I can't figure anything else out. I'm still wondering if there is another by-pass though somewhere else and will look into it.

Have you tried the levers while not standing on it to see if the loader will move?

Tags
dealer , s600tx , vermeer