Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
Are you using the right kind of hydo fluid? Maybe as it heaats it its becoming too thin and thusly the loss of umph.
Yes, spent almost 400 bucks on a filter and Vermeers hydro fluid specific to the machine.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Yes, spent almost 400 bucks on a filter and Vermeers hydro fluid specific to the machine.

Holy crap!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there an unloader valve (pop off valve) on that circuit? When you dead head the aux the oil has to divert some where and an unloader opens up and dumps to tank. Sometimes they hang up or hang open intermittently . Valves usually have adjustment nuts or an allen insert so you can adjust pop off point on unloader. I would find a hyd shop that could put a flow meter inline with the hyd circuit on the next hot day you have some free time. I picked up a flow meter from northern tool for around $300 that shows flow and temp not a bad tool to have in times like these. Good Luck!!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Holy crap!
It's a 15 gallon system. Top rated hydro fluid isn't cheap. Farm and fleet had it for half the price, but in doing the research, there was no guarantee that it wasn't recycled oil or that it wasn't up to par. Vermeer told me I could use it at my own risk. They have seen machines come in with second rate oil that have had some odd issues.

I could have gotten a fifty gallon drum for a lot less per gallon, but I didn't want to sit on it for twenty years.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It's a 15 gallon system. Top rated hydro fluid isn't cheap. Farm and fleet had it for half the price, but in doing the research, there was no guarantee that it wasn't recycled oil or that it wasn't up to par. Vermeer told me I could use it at my own risk. They have seen machines come in with second rate oil that have had some odd issues.

I could have gotten a fifty gallon drum for a lot less per gallon, but I didn't want to sit on it for twenty years.
How often do you change it
And did you do it your self or is part that 400 some labor cost
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
Is there an unloader valve (pop off valve) on that circuit? When you dead head the aux the oil has to divert some where and an unloader opens up and dumps to tank. Sometimes they hang up or hang open intermittently . Valves usually have adjustment nuts or an allen insert so you can adjust pop off point on unloader. I would find a hyd shop that could put a flow meter inline with the hyd circuit on the next hot day you have some free time. I picked up a flow meter from northern tool for around $300 that shows flow and temp not a bad tool to have in times like these. Good Luck!!
That's what I'm wondering. Right now, like I said, I think I'm just going to keep going with it for now and once things start slowing down, I'm going to dive into the machine and see what I can find.

This week though, I might call up to the shop and let them know I'm still having issues and see what they say.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
How often do you change it
And did you do it your self or is part that 400 some labor cost
Once every 500 hours. I was due for a fluid change. Probably won't happen again while I have the machine. Though when I pulled the old fluid out, it looked great and almost as good as the new oil I put in. But I do understand that oil breaks down over time.

The oil and filter came out to around a shade over 350.00. I also figured the gas I spent to run and go get the oil. So I was pushing close to 375 or better.

And yes, I changed it myself.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Man if you have to do it again I would use kubota fluid or JD. My fluid was $80 for 5 gal bucket if I remember right.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Man if you have to do it again I would use kubota fluid or JD. My fluid was $80 for 5 gal bucket if I remember right.
I called around everywhere locally to find hydro fluid. Local JD dealer, Local Case IH dealer. Nobody had enough 5 gallon buckets in stock to do it. Everyone had 50gal. drums.

Even called a local FS (Farmer Service). They didn't have enough in stock either of the jugs or buckets. So I had a 5 day wait with everyone. I was in a pinch and had a job we needed it on and I was wanting to start somewhere in diagnosing the issue in hopes that it would solve it.

Even called Bobcat, though they were cheaper, it was the wrong ISO fluid.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I called around everywhere locally to find hydro fluid. Local JD dealer, Local Case IH dealer. Nobody had enough 5 gallon buckets in stock to do it. Everyone had 50gal. drums.

Even called a local FS (Farmer Service). They didn't have enough in stock either of the jugs or buckets. So I had a 5 day wait with everyone. I was in a pinch and had a job we needed it on and I was wanting to start somewhere in diagnosing the issue in hopes that it would solve it.

Even called Bobcat, though they were cheaper, it was the wrong ISO fluid.

Wow that's quite shocking.

Tags
dealer , s600tx , vermeer