Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

south florida: which type of grass?

Hello,

I've been researching different types of saint augustine grass to use and wonder if anyone of you work/live in this area and can tell me your experience with them..

I need a grass that is shade tolerant since my yard has tons of trees and tons of shade. So far I have come up with 3.

Seville, Jade, and Palmetto.

The Palmetto sounds like it's the best, Jade coming in second, then Seville but I wonder how available palmetto is. Or if anybody has tried it.

thanks for any input
Old 03-22-2004, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Photos of my shady lawn

Left side

Right side

Close up of ground
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Hasn't anybody had experience with any of these?

I discovered yesterday that home depot sells palmetto plugs.. but i don't think they sell for 1x1 foot squares of sod.

Anybody have any opinions either way between Jade and Palmetto? those seem like the ones mentioned the most everywhere I've read online.

thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Blackthumb,
The palmetto variety would be your best choice. It is shade tolerant, thats tolerant, not shade proof. You need to make sure your trees are trimmed properly so that light can filter through as much as possible.Kill as many weeds as possible using roundup,it does not contaminate the soil and rake it clean after it dies. Also put down some fertilzer before you lay the sod. Scotts sells a fertilizer just for that. The sod will need to be watered at least once a day for 2 to 3 weeks.Twice a day is recommended if it is getting alot of sun. Water in the early morning and late in the day. If you only water once a day do it in the morning. Water for at least a half hour each zone. After the two or three weeks of watering you can cut back to every other day for a week or so then go to two maybe three times a week.
You can get the sod from TJ's turf farm out on Lyons road(1 mile road) just south of atlantic ave. You have to order in advance for palmetto and they only deliver on Saturdays. A pallet of sod covers approx. 500 sq feet and it costs around $130.00 plus delivery. The # is 561 496 4200 Call on Wednesday and you can get it on Saturday. Any other questions ?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

blackthumb,
If you decide you can't do it and want to hire someone, I would be happy to come by and do it.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

what a small world! I live off Lyons just a couple miles south of Atlantic. :-D

thanks for the info and number. I really really really really really appreciate it!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree Palmetto would be best but no st augustine will grow in to full shade jade is also a good choice
Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

no part of my yard is in full shade. I wouldn't expect anything to grow in full shade other than fungus anyhow.

those photos were taken first thing in the morning when the sun was just working on rising. every part gets sunshine but at diff parts of the day.

yeah, palmetto 'sounds' like the best from everything that i've read.

One more question tho, what does it mean when a grass is said to be "thatch-prone"? does it mean that the roots don't grow deep, i think?

thanks,
-T
Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

it means that thatch (grass clippings & stuff) build up in the grass fairly quickly
Old 03-24-2004, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

blackthumb,
Thatch is actually a build up of the grass itself. St. Aug grass grows on "runners", these runners can build up and cause a cushion since these runners can spread for a few feet without having to root along the way. This is usually caused by over watering and over fertilizing. When you cut the grass, use a mulcher if possible.It puts the unused nutrients from the clippings back into the soil. And your welcome.