Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco 3rd Hole

I just picked up a Lesco 80 walk behind spreader. It did not come with the remote 3rd hole control. My JDL guy says it is no longer available. Does anyone have one, or know how I can get one? I bought an 101186 spreader, in the book it says I need part number 082670 for the 3rd hole remote. I have also see part number 92456 when I did a search. But that may be for the older spreaders. Why can I not have what I want?

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=214 thats where i found that it was no longer available.. i was looking last year, never found one. I just have to reach down and close it the old fashioned way.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to a mower shop and get them to make you a cable. Most have the tools to crimp the cable ends.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=214 thats where i found that it was no longer available.. i was looking last year, never found one. I just have to reach down and close it the old fashioned way.
I have used a 3 hole Prizelawn for years with a remote open close handle. This is going to be a real PITA to get use too.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnagain View Post
Go to a mower shop and get them to make you a cable. Most have the tools to crimp the cable ends.
That's not a bad idea. I have a few old choke cabels from an old Toro walk behind. May need to fab something. $400.00 spreader with a cobbled fabricated part.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually old choke or throttle cables work fine for this type of thing. Or buy a new universal type for 3 dollars. Pull the center wire out. Cut off the outer casing to the length you need. Reinstall the inner control wire. Cut it to length. Using pliers, make a suitable hook or S-shape in the end; clamp her down. Done.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-01-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 4 years ago. Lesco/JDL did away with the original remote shield/3rd hole closer kit and replaced it with a new model. The new one is not as good and you won't be happy with it. With that being said, I believe that there may be individual parts that are still available (handles, brackets, etc...) with their own part numbers and you may have to "build" your own. I know for a fact that the cables are still available as I have some at my JDL location. Send me an e-mail at pslaney@johndeerelandscapes.com and I'll see what I can do for you when I get back to work on Tuesday.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

The new Lescos suck, it's such a PITA to manually put down the shield and close the hole. The metal handle for the shield gets caught on bushes and all kinds of crap too. On top of this it still throws fertilizer past the shield.

I would sell it and get an Anderson spreader, the shield design is so much easier to use with the remote operation. Plus the shield actually works! No fertilizer on the road.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNC View Post
The new Lescos suck, it's such a PITA to manually put down the shield and close the hole. The metal handle for the shield gets caught on bushes and all kinds of crap too. On top of this it still throws fertilizer past the shield.

I would sell it and get an Anderson spreader, the shield design is so much easier to use with the remote operation. Plus the shield actually works! No fertilizer on the road.
Thanks for the insightful information, but I have a brand new $400.00 spreader, I don't think I will be selling it. Maybe if I had known before? Thanks to the Hissing Cobra, I was able to locate a remote at a out of state JDL store that still had some in stock. I was surprised that many stores still have these remotes in stock, just none in Wisconsin where I am.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNC View Post

All spreaders have their faults. What I've found with the Anderson's spreader is that the spring on the side shield breaks prematurely and the shield will fall halfway down, affecting the fertilizer that comes out the right side. I will agree that it is an excellent spreader and the cone on the bottom allows for adjustments on the spread pattern which is an excellent idea.

You may like your Lesco spreader much more if you had the Remote 3rd hole closer/remote deflector kit. I've outfitted many of these spreaders with that kit and my customers love them. Heck, I even have on on my spreader at my house. I wouldn't use one any other way.