Register free!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Than Andersen (Scotts stainless steel) spreader is excellent. My side shield never falls down. The helical cone pattern adjustment is excellent. Has an eyebolt for a retention chain or padlock.
And mine is for sale... I retired. Click my name. See my photos.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well thanks to Corbra I'm up and running. I thought I would post a few shots of the remote that was discontinued two years ago. Many may not know what we are talking about.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ooop's lets try that again.
Attached Images

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad you've got it up and running! One thing I forgot to mention is that the deflector kit goes up and down much easier with some WD-40 on it. Also, sometimes the left side of the deflector bracket sometimes needs to be bent inward if it's rubbing the head of the bolt that you had to reverse that's on the frame.

EDIT: I just noticed in one of your pic's that the rod for the side deflector kit should be mounted on the other side of the handle assembly (in other words, on the left and not on the right side). I suppose if it works fine that way then you can leave it alone!

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 09-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the old manual shield and 3rd hole blocker. With the above kit discontinued, have they returned to making them like the one I have or yet another way? Thank you in advance.

PS you gotta love lawnsite for the hundreds of instances of one member helping another such as in this thread!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a Lesco spreader. I have a Scotts/Andersens which I am trying to sell...however...it appears to me that the black flexible cable that closes the third hole should go on the left side...like on the Scotts spreader. And not...come around in front where it could block some of the fertilizer as it is thrown out from the spinner. I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That cable is supposed to be tied up to the stainless steel frame above it with a wire tie. Once it's been secured, it doesn't hinder the fertilizer application at all.

Here's a pic of mine.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I have the old manual shield and 3rd hole blocker. With the above kit discontinued, have they returned to making them like the one I have or yet another way? Thank you in advance.

PS you gotta love lawnsite for the hundreds of instances of one member helping another such as in this thread!
Unfortunately the answer is no. In the old days you used to be able to buy the remote 3rd hole closer kit by itself, remote deflector kit by itself, or both of them together. Unfortunately none of them are made anymore and I checked the old part numbers to see if there were any left in JDL's inventory that consists of over 300 stores. The only kits that are left are the ones with both the remote 3rd hold closer and the remote deflector kit, and they're scattered all over the east coast. Thus, if you needed one or the other of the single kits you won't be able to buy them. If you ever need a replacement cable for the remote 3rd hole closer, the part number is 030450 and they're still available. In fact, I've got two at my location as I type.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

So, what's the point of closing the 3rd hole? Is it simply to reduce the rate of output?

I bought one of their 50 lb spreaders a few years ago just to use on my own yard. By the time I purchased the deflector kit, I could have probably bought 20 of the disposable Scott's spreaders, but that's not how I roll.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your trouble, Hissing Cobra. I do not turn mine off and on dozens of times a day like the lawn guys and am content with what I have. I was mostly interested in whether they had a new design or simply returned to the one I have. I don't really need to know and saw above you said people who have used the one with the kit shown won't be happy with the latest.