Register free!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

BTC, the purpose of the 3rd hole closer is to reduce the amount of fertilizer that is coming out of the spreader when the deflector shield is in the "down" position. When it's in the "down" position the fertilizer that is normally thrown out the right side of the spreader is now being "re-directed" to the front and left side of the spreader, making those areas "heavy" with too much fertilizer. Early in the season this will result in deep, rich green coloring on the edges but if done during the summer heat, it will cause those edges to burn out. Closing the 3rd hole when the deflector is "down" allows for the front and the left side to continue getting the correct amount of fertilizer and you won't have those issues.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
BTC, the purpose of the 3rd hole closer is to reduce the amount of fertilizer that is coming out of the spreader when the deflector shield is in the "down" position. When it's in the "down" position the fertilizer that is normally thrown out the right side of the spreader is now being "re-directed" to the front and left side of the spreader, making those areas "heavy" with too much fertilizer. Early in the season this will result in deep, rich green coloring on the edges but if done during the summer heat, it will cause those edges to burn out. Closing the 3rd hole when the deflector is "down" allows for the front and the left side to continue getting the correct amount of fertilizer and you won't have those issues.
Ah. That it would be a nice feature. Ask me how I know. Unfortunately, I was spreading one of Lesco's products that contained Lockup. My lawn has mostly recovered. Having grown up on a farm, and spending lots of my time applying fertilizer and herbicides, I felt pretty stupid for not adjusting the rate accordingly around the perimeter of my yard.

Considering it's purpose, I wonder why they discontinued it.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well the 3rd hole closer is still mounted on every Lesco spreader that John Deere Landscapes sells, it's just that the remote cable operated part is no longer made. Thus, anyone buying a new one today will have to manually operate the 3rd hole closer by reaching underneath the spreader to close it by hand. The side deflector kit is still available in manual form but the remote lever assembly is no longer available.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't believe my spreader has the 3rd hole closer. I bought the 50lb spreader from JDL, and it came in a box. I assembled it myself. The deflector was a separate kit, which I also purchased from JDL, and you're correct that it does not include the remote lever.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
I don't believe my spreader has the 3rd hole closer. I bought the 50lb spreader from JDL, and it came in a box. I assembled it myself. The deflector was a separate kit, which I also purchased from JDL, and you're correct that it does not include the remote lever.
Your 50 pound spreader will have the 3rd hole closer on it as they all come from the factory with them. Look on the front of the spreader just above the impellar on the right hand side. You should see a stainless steel thingy hanging down. Simply push it toward the back of the spreader and that 3rd hole will close. Pull it back out and it will be open.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Your 50 pound spreader will have the 3rd hole closer on it as they all come from the factory with them. Look on the front of the spreader just above the impellar on the right hand side. You should see a stainless steel thingy hanging down. Simply push it toward the back of the spreader and that 3rd hole will close. Pull it back out and it will be open.
I'll check it out and report back. I'm curious now. If it's there, I'm guessing I will realize that I have seen it before.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My spreader does have the 3rd hole closer. I can't say that I have ever noticed it. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Closing the 3rd hole also works very well for anytime you want to reduce the rate you are putting down, Small tight areas that are less than your normal pattern with, or I even close it on heavy shaded parts of lawn.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Just don't forget to open it back up when you're done edging or you might leave some interesting color variations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And that's the reason for the remote. You can see if its open or closed. I do not understand why the would stop making it.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com