Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Hydro Problems

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum (as a matter of fact, this is my first post). I have searched the forum for the information I am in search of, but have not found anything addressing my problem. So, here it is: I recently started a lawn service (I had one a few years ago, sold it, and am starting another to help pay for my kid's college expenses). I bought two mowers, one is a toro timecutter 14-38z #74301 2003 (serial number 230000001-230999999). The problem I am having is that the right hydro is not working well. It seems that, when I initially start the mower, it doesn't work well and then, after cutting for a few (5 or so) minutes, it seems to start working better (not perfect, but better). What I am wondering is, on this model, is there a way to check or change the hydro fluid or are those sealed units? I have not unbolted the hydros from the frame to look at the top of them to see if there is a fill hole or not. I am not a real mechanically skilled person, but I looked at the belt and it seems to be tight. The spring looks good too. When I jacked the mower up in the back, I could turn the right hand wheel by hand, but could not turn the left wheel (the drive handles were in the drive position so the hydros/wheel motors were not locked). Are these all signs that the hydro is toast? Or, could I rectify the situation (fingers crossed) by discovering the hydro is low on fluid and filling it up? If so, what fluid do I put in there? I am trying to avoid a costly repair shop bill on a mower I didn't pay very much for in the first place. Thanks in advance for your responses. Scott
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome Aboard.......Download THIS then scroll down to pages 8 and 9.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob, I appreciate the quick response!