Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks nice! One question for you. Why the purchase of a Dually with a dump insert and not a dump truck? Not at all saying one is better than the other, just curious. I have a friend who uses a dump insert and said it was an awesome investment at first and then complained about the capacity of it. He also has access to a 1 ton dump. I have a dually pickup, no insert as it is a short bed dually, yes short bed, and would much rather have a dump. The truck was a toy at first..
Old 09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
Looks nice! One question for you. Why the purchase of a Dually with a dump insert and not a dump truck? Not at all saying one is better than the other, just curious. I have a friend who uses a dump insert and said it was an awesome investment at first and then complained about the capacity of it. He also has access to a 1 ton dump. I have a dually pickup, no insert as it is a short bed dually, yes short bed, and would much rather have a dump. The truck was a toy at first..
I agree good question I should have bought a 1 ton dump. But I love the truck now and enjoy it very well plus it will be paid off very soon. The dump insert's work very well for what I use them for. However next year I will be looking for a larger dump truck finally and could deffinately use it. Baby steps for me I quess. Thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea If I didn't get the deal I got on my dually it would've been gone yesterday. Just hard to part with a low mileage fantastic running vehicle and taking a chance on a higher mileage dump truck. Those see abuse for sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea If I didn't get the deal I got on my dually it would've been gone yesterday. Just hard to part with a low mileage fantastic running vehicle and taking a chance on a higher mileage dump truck. Those see abuse for sure.
Agree, you should hold on to it and maybe get a dump lator as a secondary work vehicle.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Agree, you should hold on to it and maybe get a dump lator as a secondary work vehicle.
We'll see but probably likely. What I'd like to do is have a local fabrication company modify my dump trailer to have a side door and a movable separator in the bed (I have one currently that I made of plywood. It's much more efficient to have materials such as mulch and be able to hold trimmings, edgings, etc... vs. dumping all the clean up stuff and then making a trip for mulch. Probably save an hr each job doing so. I considered a 6.5' dump insert but just seems like it wouldn't hold enough.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We'll see but probably likely. What I'd like to do is have a local fabrication company modify my dump trailer to have a side door and a movable separator in the bed (I have one currently that I made of plywood. It's much more efficient to have materials such as mulch and be able to hold trimmings, edgings, etc... vs. dumping all the clean up stuff and then making a trip for mulch. Probably save an hr each job doing so. I considered a 6.5' dump insert but just seems like it wouldn't hold enough.
Now thats thinking efficient. Thats something I would like to do as well especially if I end up getting a larger dump truck to also have a divider in the bed. You know as well as I do doing landscaping there's allways multiple landscape materials you need to haul into a job, it would make life alittle easier and efficient.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres some pics of a 2.5 day job we finished up today. I didn't take any before photos, so it is hard to show how much work we actually did there. This job was a serious mess, lots of cleanup needed done.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We added some plants in some area's around this property and cleaned up the tree/ woods line
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We added 3 oakleaf hydrangea around a few pillars by there driveway.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We were mowing this yard today so i took a few pics of this bed of burning bushes and river rock we did early spring.
Attached Images