Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't often look through this part of the forum but read all of your thread. Looks like you are a hard worker and have been quite successful at the still young age of 31. Nice going!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I don't often look through this part of the forum but read all of your thread. Looks like you are a hard worker and have been quite successful at the still young age of 31. Nice going!
Thanks alot for the kind words buddy!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some pics of a job we finished a few weeks ago. We installed the plants and landscape beds and added red pea gravel around some beautiful hardscaping work that 2 of my good friends built.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like to do hardscaping because I'm not that good at it yet. I feel hardscaping is a seperate trade that should be done with alot of experience. I decided to do this small patio,seating wall and fire pit for a customer that we mow for. This is one of my only hardscapes I've done so go easy on me. That seating wall was very hard for me to do as I'm a beginner at that stuff, the wall blocks were double sided and all different size pieces, was difficult for me, probaly would be real easy for the pro's.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here was a fun job we did in the spring. I should have goten before pictures. The bank used to be full of weeds and trees but we removed them and installed all the plants, bolders, mulch and we also built the natural stone steps that I thought turned out beautiful. This job took us about 4 days total.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We landscaped this house last year. Terrible pics only had a few. We planted the lawn also. We put in these techo blocks steps(rocka stepa) which i liked. There heavy.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's good for first time. I don't do a ton of hardscape stuff either. It is truly HARDscaping. Not hard as in labor intensive but getting grades right, getting base level, keeping pavers lined up, etc... A plant could be turned the wrong way ever so slightly and no big deal but if a paver is off it throws the entire project off. I did a patio/walkway/stairs for my brother last year. Man that was a wake up call. Everyone that sees it says it awesome. Hardly the case as I know all the mistakes. But my brother had expectations of it being a learning job for me. The hardscape section would likely tear your project apart but they usually mean well. The only way to get better is keep doing more. But renting all those tools really makes the job quote explode or you make less. And those tools carry a price tag of $1000 and way up. But maybe that's where a weekend family/friend job comes in. Charge just enough to cover materials and whatnot then make enough to buy a tool. Few jobs later you've got more experience and a shop full of tools. I wouldn't my doing this.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You do really nice work!!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We added 8 pines to this row of trees to fill in some large gaps between trees about a month ago, nothing to crazy was mowing here today and stopped to take a pic.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
I think it's good for first time. I don't do a ton of hardscape stuff either. It is truly HARDscaping. Not hard as in labor intensive but getting grades right, getting base level, keeping pavers lined up, etc... A plant could be turned the wrong way ever so slightly and no big deal but if a paver is off it throws the entire project off. I did a patio/walkway/stairs for my brother last year. Man that was a wake up call. Everyone that sees it says it awesome. Hardly the case as I know all the mistakes. But my brother had expectations of it being a learning job for me. The hardscape section would likely tear your project apart but they usually mean well. The only way to get better is keep doing more. But renting all those tools really makes the job quote explode or you make less. And those tools carry a price tag of $1000 and way up. But maybe that's where a weekend family/friend job comes in. Charge just enough to cover materials and whatnot then make enough to buy a tool. Few jobs later you've got more experience and a shop full of tools. I wouldn't my doing this.
Thanks buddy, Yeah I get tons of calls during the season to do hardscape, It is honestly the big thing anymore. You can make a ton of money on them if you know what your doing. I hate turning the work down, but I know that I'm not a pro at it yet. I'd like to maybe learn more about hardscapes as life goes on but I like to stick to the basics like lawn mowing and new lawn planting and landscaping maint and design/build for now. I want to only do what I feel I can do right.