Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Fall Businesses

In the last 2 weeks I picked up 2 accounts and I am working on getting a few more. What can I do in the fall when the mowing is coming to an end?

Does any one have any suggestions on how to quote for mulching and hedge trimming and stuff like that? I can figure in the cost of materials and my time going to get it but what is a fair price to charge to spread mulch and pine needles and this sort of stuff?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually figure 1-1.25 man hours per yard of mulch to install it. If its bagged mulch usually 12-15 bags per man hour. These are just averages. If there is a lot of edges to prepare or a butt load of plants to go around you will want to charge more. As far as hedge trimming, you just need to figure out what u can do in an hour and charge the job according to how long u think it will take.
Good luck!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
In the last 2 weeks I picked up 2 accounts and I am working on getting a few more. What can I do in the fall when the mowing is coming to an end?

Does any one have any suggestions on how to quote for mulching and hedge trimming and stuff like that? I can figure in the cost of materials and my time going to get it but what is a fair price to charge to spread mulch and pine needles and this sort of stuff?

I don't know if I would mulch at that time of year. You would be blowing the freshly laid mulch out of the beds when you do your leaf clean ups. Customer might not like that too much.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
I don't know if I would mulch at that time of year. You would be blowing the freshly laid mulch out of the beds when you do your leaf clean ups. Customer might not like that too much.
thats a very good point. I always thought spring was the best time for mulch but I had others tell me that fall was.

I also thought about 1.5 hrs per yard to install it
Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
thats a very good point. I always thought spring was the best time for mulch but I had others tell me that fall was.

I also thought about 1.5 hrs per yard to install it
I wouldn't Mulch in the Fall either until all of the leaves were down and cleaned up. Some customers like their landscaping to look nice for the holidays...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

And if there is a thin layer of mulch it is actually good for the plants to get a good 3 inch layer down before winter. It helps insulate the roots and protect some non-winter hardy plants they may have if they live in a colder winter climate
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

For hedge trimming charge by the hour and for mulch you always want to double your cost of supplies and just add in labor charge
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
For hedge trimming charge by the hour and for mulch you always want to double your cost of supplies and just add in labor charge
Lol @ charge by the hour thats horrible advice
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
True, but a lot of customers want an estimate before u do the work....
Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post

It's not horrible advice. You look at the job and say oh this should take x hours and you charge you x hourly rate per x many hours. Because I guarantee that you will look at a job and say ahh this isn't too bad so I'm going to charge $40 and the job takes you almost 2hrs and you go through 2 tanks of gas plus wear and tear on your equipment. Oh and lets not forget clean up. Will have to blow into a pile amd bag them or go over them with your mower. Uh oh when you tried going over them with your mower your hydro broke...