Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleaning river rock, yes Im asking about this

Ok, I tell people all of the time that its cheaper for me to just get rid of their old rock and put in new. I am a firm believer in that and usually I just dump the old as fill or in gravel drive areas. I have a project where I will be removing about 88 tons of rock and was wondering if any one has ever made a top soil screener and just sized the screen to keep the river rock on top so I could sort out all of the small dirt and debris from the rock and then be able to reuse it for jobs down the road. I don't want to do this by hand as its not worth the time but if some one has done this with a screener and a skid how well did it work? was it worth it in terms of how clean the rock got?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never done it, but I can't see why it couldn't work. If you're going to go through that effort, I'd also hose it down while it's on the screen. Every time we do a water feature I'm amazed at the amount of funk that comes off river jack, even when it's coming right from the stoneyard to the hole.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did it once on 6 tons of rock.

Too much time and labor involved in doing it. Stripping it out and adding new would have been a better option.

Never will do it again, unless.....

It's your situation where there is at least 88 tons of rock to clean. But, I would charge at least double of what it would cost to involve removing and adding new rock.

For smaller jobs, if it was a must to clean it, I was thinking a grain cleaner would be the cheapest option to get it done. But it would still be time consuming due to the limited volume you could only put into the screen at any given time.

Otherwise, you need a big shaker box to really get it clean fast.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Backpack blower and a friend with an iron rake... 2-3 inches deep goes quickly... 88 tons is not a relevant as how many sq. ft. if it is just a cleanup job...

If it is for drainage then it will have to be removed and cleaned,,, but you're right,,, the construction yards already does that... perhaps the yard would be willing to take it off your hands, since it is such a simple process for them to just run it through their sorters...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Backpack blower and a friend with an iron rake... 2-3 inches deep goes quickly... 88 tons is not a relevant as how many sq. ft. if it is just a cleanup job...

If it is for drainage then it will have to be removed and cleaned,,, but you're right,,, the construction yards already does that... perhaps the yard would be willing to take it off your hands, since it is such a simple process for them to just run it through their sorters...
Pretty wishful thinking Axe. There is generally too much silt and debris in the rock to pull it off with a blower. That any you need to be in a drought situation where it's completely, 100% dry to do it effectively.

Not saying your wrong............

Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My 550T does 1.5" River Rock w/out a rake... Of course I do it every year so it doesn't form a dirt layer...
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its a removal job, not a cleaning job, given its 88 tons I just hated to waste it as fill if there was a way to clean the debre out id just pile it and wait until winter when I have some time and clean it to use next year. given it costs me $36 a ton new as log as I can clean at least 3 tons an hour its not too shabby winter work.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Put it in a pile and let the rain wash it, or use a sprinkler. All the dirt will go to the bottom.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapedesignpros View Post
its a removal job, not a cleaning job, given its 88 tons I just hated to waste it as fill if there was a way to clean the debre out id just pile it and wait until winter when I have some time and clean it to use next year. given it costs me $36 a ton new as log as I can clean at least 3 tons an hour its not too shabby winter work.
Understandable.

We take all our stripped out rock from jobs to the Asphalt plant here locally, they recycle into their mix.

I've also got a 25 ton stockpile of various rock we've removed. I use it for junk fill whenever I need it, such as the base of a gravel driveway where I'll be putting a good layer of white rock over the top.

At $36 a ton, that's a pretty good price. River rock in the retail market runs about 60/ton here. Specialty stone runs about 160/ton.

But luckily, about 10 miles away is a river bottom pit where I can get river rock for 20/ton. Pretty cool place as they have all sorts of sizes, lots of different sand options and some over-sized stuff.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what pit? Im in bloomington