Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe it, so is there a program for less than a thousand?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There might be, but will it really do what you want it to is the question.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Dynascape that I purchased for my Landscape Architect. She played with it a while but likes to do hand drawings and will not use it even though it is a very good software.

I am willing to sell it. It is version 5. If interested pm me.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I believe it, so is there a program for less than a thousand?
This is what I use: http://www.gstarcad.us/

GStarCad does everything Autocad can but isn't a ripoff. It's made in China but it gets the job done well. As far as I was able to gather, it is the best Autocad alternative. Granted I haven't been using it for very long but I was able to make a landscape design plan with it for my first landscape design bid (which I will be giving shortly).

I just use a compass, roller measuring tool and angle measuring tool to survey the property which is somewhat time consuming but makes an accurate design plan.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I just sold a job with iScape. It's 10 bucks for iPad. The plant library is minimals but when scaling them to photos you don't have to use the exact plant. I resized am oleander to be a schip laurel and it gives the same effect. From the customers perspective, they liked it. It's easier for them to see on the front of their home rather than on a 2 d. I do still hand draw to scale for the plan, but this is a great quick and simple sales tool.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorsaur View Post
This is what I use: http://www.gstarcad.us/

GStarCad does everything Autocad can but isn't a ripoff. It's made in China but it gets the job done well. As far as I was able to gather, it is the best Autocad alternative. Granted I haven't been using it for very long but I was able to make a landscape design plan with it for my first landscape design bid (which I will be giving shortly).

I just use a compass, roller measuring tool and angle measuring tool to survey the property which is somewhat time consuming but makes an accurate design plan.
There's a group of CAD alternatives called IntelliCAD. I'm guessing that's what this one is. Do a search on IntelliCAD and you'll come up with a number of vendors.

Just FYI, when I clicked on the link I got a malware alert/blocked page from my security program, so you may want to give your PC a thorough check if you downloaded anything from them.

To the OP, I have a question. What is it about the hand drawing process that is taking so long? What's a typical job that you're doing?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it takes to long. We don't do huge crazy landscape designs, we are mainly a maintenance company. I'm in this situation because I can't justify an expensive design program, when it is a small percentage of our services we offer.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
There's a group of CAD alternatives called IntelliCAD. I'm guessing that's what this one is. Do a search on IntelliCAD and you'll come up with a number of vendors.

Just FYI, when I clicked on the link I got a malware alert/blocked page from my security program, so you may want to give your PC a thorough check if you downloaded anything from them.

To the OP, I have a question. What is it about the hand drawing process that is taking so long? What's a typical job that you're doing?
GstarCad is not Intellicad.

I looked into the pros / cons of GstarCad vs. intelliCad thoroughly before making my decision. GstarCad just seemed to be all around the better product to me so I went with it.

Sorry that you found Malware... I run Nod32, one of the best antivirus around, and it hasn't found anything on that website. I've been running Gstarcad for some time with no problems / virus symptoms. The only antivirus I know of that can spot stuff Nod32 can't is Kaspersky.

To the OP and who it may concern, that are a few Autocad alternatives, although I will not be doing any comparisons myself.

Intellicad
GStarCad
BricsCad
ZWCad
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought pro-landscape looking forward to selling more jobs! I was iffy but after reading alot about it, I think it's gonna pay off.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz's Landscaping View Post
Just bought pro-landscape looking forward to selling more jobs! I was iffy but after reading alot about it, I think it's gonna pay off.
It does. Have fun and really take the time to learn it by watching the tutorials. After a while you'll get fast with the designs.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.