Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

19 Kawasaki Tapping sound?

I don't know anything about the engine except it runs very well, idles nice, high rpm is nice, No smoke whatsoever, but there is a tapping. I think it is coming from the valves. It it a twin engine. It does not sound terrible, but it is there. I think the engine was rebuilt about a half year ago, but i did not do it. I'm thinking check the clearances on the valves input .004 and exhaust .006. My guess is check the valves, am I on the right track and are my measurements correct. Kawasaki fh601v engine. thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

19 Kawasaki Tapping sound?

My toro 30 Kawi engine makes tick noises When you engage the blades
Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Double wide, here is a copy of specs and procedure for adjusting valves.
The inside metric Allen is the lock nut, and the outside is the adjustment.
Sorry I couldn't get the pic to download .

Periodic Maintenance Procedures
Assemble the cylinder head and install the cylinder head •assembly on the block (see Cylinder Head Installation).
Turn the crankshaft in proper direction until the piston is at • the TDC of the compression stroke (as described above). Loosen the lock screws [A] and the valve clearance ad-
•justing nuts [B].
Insert a 0.10 mm (0.04 in.) thickness gauge [C] between the rocker arm and valve stem. Tighten the adjusting nut until the thickness gauge begins to bind between the rocker arm and valve stem end. Sweep the thickness gauge during this adjustment.
Valve Clearance (when cold)
Inlet, Exhaust: 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.004 ∼0.006 in.)
•Holding the adjusting nut with a spanner, tighten the lock screw to the specified torque.
Torque - Valve Clearance Lock Screws: 6.9 N·m (0.70 kgf·m, 61 in·lb)
•Do not overtighten the valve clearance lock screws. •After the valve clearance adjustment, measure the valve clearance again. Readjust the valve clearance if neces-
sary.
Valve Clearance Adjustment
•Since valve repairs change the valve clearance, adjust •the valve clearance as specified.

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-17

Assemble the cylinder head and install the cylinder head •assembly on the block (see Cylinder Head Installation).
Turn the crankshaft in proper direction until the piston is at • the TDC of the compression stroke (as described above). Loosen the lock screws [A] and the valve clearance ad-
•justing nuts [B].
Insert a 0.10 mm (0.04 in.) thickness gauge [C] between the rocker arm and valve stem. Tighten the adjusting nut until the thickness gauge begins to bind between the rocker arm and valve stem end. Sweep the thickness gauge during this adjustment.
•Holding the adjusting nut with a spanner, tighten the lock screw to the specified torque.
Torque - Valve Clearance Lock Screws: 6.9 N·m (0.70 kgf·m, 61 in·lb)
•Do not overtighten the valve clearance lock screws. •After the valve clearance adjustment, measure the valve clearance again. Readjust the valve clearance if neces-

•Since valve repairs change the valve clearance, adjust •the valve clearance as specified.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If u need further info let me know. I found the service manual online on some website and downloaded it free.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I will looking into it and let you know if it helps.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked at both valves they were set pretty close to what they should have been. They are now set pretty exact, thanks for the help. I still have the tapping sound. I pulled the shroud, looked all around the flywheel, checked the clearance on the coils, made sure everything was bolted down tight. Everything has checked out good and secure. What could be causing the noise. I mowed 3 acres today with hills and the thing cut great, but still makes a light tapping noise which is more noticeable at low idle. There is no surging, no backfiring, no loss of power. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump? Could it just be how the engine sounds, or is this a problem that needs looking into?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got the same question on my less than 2 year old vride with Kaw. I don't like the sound and I have checked valve setting twice. I am talking it in at the end of season and see what Kaw says. Something isn't oiling correct for this noise to be happening. I am using oil that is partial synethic so I hope I got enough protection in this hot weather.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I've always wondered about my 801 v kawi. It's noisier than any other mower ever. Tapping sound etc. I take good care of it. No smoking, starts right up (having a charging issue at the moment , unrelated). Always worries me a bit but it runs fine.