Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heated paver driveway install help

I've done the paver walkways before but never a driveway and really excited about doing this for a friends driveway.
He wants to do a heated driveway which is often done in our area. I'ven never done it, but am familiar with how it works.
I have a couple questions... what is the proper way to install a heated paver driveway?
A LARGE home that was build last summer had cement poured first and then pavers installed on top of it. I know it's a heated driveway but i don't know where the tubing was installed for the heated driveway. In the concrete or between concrete and pavers?
What is the reason for pouring concrete first?

Any help would be great on the overall process, its only a 10x50' driveway. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The heating tubes are layed out in the cement and the cement protects them. I have seen the heating systems installed in houses, but have no experience with driveways in that sense.

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 02-19-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Go Canucks Go
Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
The heating tubes are layed out in the cement and the cement protects them. I have seen the heating systems installed in houses, but have no experience with driveways in that sense.
beat me too it. I have family in North Dakota & thts how they have it done. The tubes are layed in the concrete slab. now for a driveway, i wonder if it would heat the pavers better if the pipes were in the base ontop the concrete.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the pipe is layed in the cement for a couple of reasons, like stated above one of the reasons is to protect the pipe. Another is that the cement will disperse the heat more evenly. Usually in an interier tile setup, such as a bathroom, the pipe is layed every six inches or so. For exterior it is more around aver 12-18+ inches. The cement absorbs the heat and disperses it evenly over its surface and then to the pavers evenly. If the pipe was layed in the crushed with pavers ontop, alot of the heat energy would not be evenly absorbed and transfered by the crushed but would actually be displaced and less evenly distributed to the pavers. I have done some commercial walks and resi walks / patios and worked closely with the manufacturers' sales reps on the first few. This fall we spec'ed out a large driveway but the homeowner decided to only do the walks because of cost.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

We have done three. two were laid on top of the crusher. 1 had insulation laid between the crusher and pipe. All systems worked good
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did a search. It looks easy enough to do. Simple enough to price out too.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
I know this is an older thread but i just wanted to follow up with a few questions:

Dr.NewEarth: How did the install go? What method did you use?
mybigdog: What did you use for insulation? How is the driveway that you installed with the insulation laid between the crusher and pipe? Did you do anymore this way?
Thanks.