Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Online Bill Pay - How to Integrate?

What is the cheapest way to incorporate online bill pay into a website? I'm not new to web-building and eCommerce...that's actually my main business. I've just never had to add a customized bill pay for each customer. As far as I know, you can't do a "Bill Pay" service on an Ecommerce platform.

Here is my website now - www.CircleTrader.com - If I could do it like this, I would, but I don't see how.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a payment processor, but currently all checkout functions on my current website are through the hosting provider's secure checkout service. It's invisible to the buyer, but when they checkout, they are "no longer on my site" until they finish checkout. I'm wondering if there is a 3rd party bill pay system that I can just link to..

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do this myself, but a local LCO near me does. Here is his payment page: http://www.hlmaintenance.com/index_files/Credit.htm

Is this what you are looking for? He uses Google Checkout but I am sure you could do it with Paypal as well.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are quite a few solutions out there for this, from Stripe and PayPal to handle recurring payments/invoicing, to full-featured SAAS apps, such as Chargify, Recurly, and CheddarGetter. Really all depends on what your desired feature set or skills will allow you to use.

Of these, I use Stripe's API to handle credit card processing, with PayPal as an option.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't exactly done a bill pay but I have been using a free service for an online shopping cart that is really easy to use. It can be set up to take either credit cards or paypal and it is easy to integrate. Basically you would just add a pay your bill button and a link that they provide. It is processed on their secure server and the info goes into a secure database. They send you an email when you have a purchase or payment and you log in with your password and retrieve the credit card or paypal info and process the payment manually.

Mine have always been a fixed amount but I am sure you could set it up where they entered the amount they want to pay and check out.

If you want to take a look at it you can find it at www.mals-e.com
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turbo, for what you seem to be using it for, why not cut out the middle man and just use PayPal to handle your transactions?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion Tony. After looking at CardKid's site which I didn't do until after I posted, I am not so sure my suggestion was that good but Mal's is pretty simple and flexible.

My own application is more like CardKids main site, online shopping and I have used Mals for 5 or 6 years and do like the ease of use. Paypal is the one payment method we prefer not to use and have it excluded from our site so we only take MC/Visa and Amex. One of these days when I have more time I will likely change my cart to either Open Cart or OS Commerce but need to find more than 24 hours in a day before I can find time for that.

Thanks for the suggestion however. I do appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I initially thought I would do the checkout route where you type how much you want to pay...but I'm all about convenience and if the buyer doesn't know how much they owe, that's a problem. People lose paper invoices all the time and email invoices can get deleted by accident.

What I'd really like is a payment management system. On my end, I can enter amounts owes for each customer. Then, on the website, the form asks for their customer number and a password. This will lead them to a payment portal where they can see their balance, what they have been charged for (invoice breakdown) and then pay. Almost like online electricity bill pay.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might check this out

http://www.invoicera.com/

or if you use quickbooks maybe look at this one.

www.intuitpayments.com/processcards
Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

These all function, to varying degrees, as invoicers, project management, time tracking, material costs, etc. There are dozens of possibilities (at least), it's just a matter of refining to what you want to fulfill your core needs.

http://www.roninapp.com/
https://www.billgrid.com
http://www.getharvest.com/

For ecommerce guys, these all use the stripe api.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might also want to talk to an old school merchant processing company. I've been talking to one about a membership site with different levels, and they offer a platform where I can plug in the membership level for each customer and it autobills each month. While I'm usually all about the cheapest option, I don't have hours to spend researching every online solution out there.