Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your preference, and reasoning...

A year ago one of my guys convinced me to give long sleeves a try. Been wearing them ever since. The new guy this year won't wear them. So what's your preference, and if its short sleeve, have you ever give. Long sleeves a week long trial?

Also, where do you stand on the Polyester (athletic type shirts) vs Cotton debate?

Personally I only wear long sleeved 100% cotton shirts.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always heard wearing long sleeves will make you cooler because after you sweat and your shirt is wet you are cooler. I have never tried it. I have always been wearing cotton short sleeve shirts. I guess I may try it in the future. I just think I would be thirsty more than normal and feel less energized.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been considering going to a long sleeve. Been using these. http://www.keyworkwear.com/index.cgi...b53d59e2850e5b

One of my guys dubbed them "breezy shirts". They way outperform cotton in terms of wicking and cooling. I'm mad about how much of my life I've worked in cotton vs these. They do snag easier than cotton. But are also inexpensive.

When cotton gets damp, it just clings to you and does not allow air movement. These continue to breathe WAY WAY better. Almost identical in performance to many of the discount store performance wicking athletic shirts, but seem to be more durable on the job.

Note: despite having a full set o cotton work shirts, every one of my guys wore the one of these I bought as a "test" every day for a week. Some even washed them by hand so they could wear them the next day. About $8.50 each in quantity.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your preference, and reasoning...

I wear Nike and under armour sleeveless shirts. Short sleeves make me sweat a lot and without sleeve it more aired out. Never tried long sleeves.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Long sleeves will keep the sun off you and you will have more energy. Doesn't have much to do with the sweat.

I've yet to find an athletic shirt that doesn't feel like im wearing a trash bag
Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Long sleeves will keep the sun off you and you will have more energy. Doesn't have much to do with the sweat.

I've yet to find an athletic shirt that doesn't feel like im wearing a trash bag
Try any of the new breed of "wicking" performance gear. It's like night and day. I now realize that cotton is for cool weather.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are these performance long sleeve shirts designed to fit loose or tight on one's arms and torso?
I ask cuz I actually purchased one once (perhaps too small, IDK) and it felt like I was wearing a sausage casing. NOT good. Yes, I'm stocky...and I prefer loose fitting clothing as opposed to some kind of spandex-y thang.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Are these performance long sleeve shirts designed to fit loose or tight on one's arms and torso?
I ask cuz I actually purchased one once (perhaps too small, IDK) and it felt like I was wearing a sausage casing. NOT good. Yes, I'm stocky...and I prefer loose fitting clothing as opposed to some kind of spandex-y thang.
I would only consider the loose fitting ones. I posted a link above to the short sleeve ones we got. Wish I'd had these years ago. SO MUCH COOLER than cotton that I want to shout about it. Think I will pick up a handful of the long sleeved version as a test batch against the short sleeves.

Also got these. http://www.essentialapparel.com/dorfman-pacific-mesh-safari-hat.html?gclid=CMbdxfTMsrkCFcvm7AodxmQA9Q

Actually got mine from Northern. Hats are made of a very porous mesh. After last years record heat here, I was ready this year. Thankfully we only had a brief hot streak this summer. But the combo of the hat and "breezy shirt" make a big difference. Much like the long sleeves, the wide brim hat keeps you out of the burning sun. Having worn tank tops in the past in 100f heat I can attest that the shirt hat combo works much better than bare skin.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent, will give some long-sleeved loose-fitting performance shirts a try.

I used to be a visor guy...but I've since learned that hats are indeed cooler when in the sun. For a few years now I've worn the neck & ear covering type...that some dillweeds around here call a taliban hat. The broad bill provides lots of shade...and saves the back of my neck as well as my ears.

I'm a mutant...I live for Summer's heat and humidity. We were even drier than you all were last year...and I was miserable since my workload was nearly cut in half. The arid air had me wearing dustmasks nearly every day...sure wish I had these Wolfsnouts then...they rock.

Thanks for your help, GG!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your welcome. Might have to give those wolf snouts a try. Read a bit of the thread on here, just have a tough time imagining breathing through it in the heat.

Last years heat was pretty rough here. Several records including most days at 100f or above. But the worst part was the humid air and no air movement. This summer was a breeze in comparison. Pays to be prepared!