Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We had very little humidity in Summer '12...and were down 21"+ compared to avg precip. This includes a very snowy Winter (Jan & Feb) in the total. I thought '11 was bad/dry...and '12 made '11 look like a walk in the park. Currently quite dry now again here, but not even close to last year.

I wear my Wolfsnout nearly 100% of the time. It actually feels funny not wearing it. No more nose tickling stuff going up in there. I bought 2 and rotate them throughout the day. Easy to wash. Very comfortable and seemingly durable.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I've been considering going to a long sleeve. Been using these. http://www.keyworkwear.com/index.cgi...b53d59e2850e5b

One of my guys dubbed them "breezy shirts". They way outperform cotton in terms of wicking and cooling. I'm mad about how much of my life I've worked in cotton vs these. They do snag easier than cotton. But are also inexpensive.

When cotton gets damp, it just clings to you and does not allow air movement. These continue to breathe WAY WAY better. Almost identical in performance to many of the discount store performance wicking athletic shirts, but seem to be more durable on the job.

Note: despite having a full set o cotton work shirts, every one of my guys wore the one of these I bought as a "test" every day for a week. Some even washed them by hand so they could wear them the next day. About $8.50 each in quantity.
Omg man I bought a ton of these at tractor supply in the spring time on clearence at like $5 a pop amd was looking to find a place that I could buy some at woot woot thanks so much. I love these shirts because they are nice and cool and dry fairly quick. The pocket is a plus although I figured it would be a hassle. One down fall is if your trimming and you have some mud that you accidentally hit wrong. Well, it stains the hell outta this shirt and I couldn't ever get mine out.

I have also heard the same thing about long sleeve shirts. They will keep you cooler when it's super hot and also help you not catch poison ivy snd such. I am thinking sbout ordering some long sleeves but with it being 100+ outside and on top of that the crazy humidity factor in louisiana I'm having something in my head telling me that it might not be a good combination.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've been considering going to a long sleeve. Been using these. http://www.keyworkwear.com/index.cgi...b53d59e2850e5b

One of my guys dubbed them "breezy shirts". They way outperform cotton in terms of wicking and cooling. I'm mad about how much of my life I've worked in cotton vs these. They do snag easier than cotton. But are also inexpensive.

When cotton gets damp, it just clings to you and does not allow air movement. These continue to breathe WAY WAY better. Almost identical in performance to many of the discount store performance wicking athletic shirts, but seem to be more durable on the job.

Note: despite having a full set o cotton work shirts, every one of my guys wore the one of these I bought as a "test" every day for a week. Some even washed them by hand so they could wear them the next day. About $8.50 each in quantity.
I have also thought about getting some of these shirts lettered. Is this even possible with such shirt? I was thinking maybe silk screen printing but idk .
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We wear long sleeves. My guys hate short sleeves because of the sun. I also think long sleeves look nicer, just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Polyester long sleeve shirt with a mesh panel across the back. Because I've already had a pre-cancerous spot taken off of my head and another one was growing one on my arm.

Poly shorts, sox and underwear too. Moist cotton gives me diaper rash. The polyester won't hold moisture.

The downside is that polyester clothes have no shape, even sunblock stains them. And polyester is lousy material to try to clean my glasses.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to admit, they do stain easily. It says no bleach, but so far a little bleach and warm water wash has removed most stains. The comfort outweighs the issue.

They come with a "Key" logo on the back of the neck, leading me to believe they can be silk screened. But I haven't had any done yet.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think people have done went plumb nuts trying to re-figure out how to stay cool, the answers are simple and have always been there but it seems when the temps hit 100 people don't want to accept these simple answers. Fact is when it's hot you are probably going to feel like it's hot and keep looking for something that does not exist and someone will sell you their version of snake oil (such as "wicking" shirts), take you for a ride telling you it's best to wear long sleeve sweaters because more clothes will keep the heat off or some such BS, now it's real simple... White or light colored cotton / polyester t-shirts are the coolest but when it's hot there isn't a piece of clothing that's going to make you feel like it isn't hot, my opinion on the matter.

Last edited by herler; 09-05-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As I stated earlier, I was more than surprised to find a full hat was cooler than a visor...and I have a full head of hair, fwiw. Also not saying there's some miracle out there clothing-wise, but most of the world that lives in extreme heat choose to cover themselves. I can't see me giving up on my shorts and going to long pants, but am willing to give some long sleeves a go. Now, I just need to find some that are loose fitting.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wear both long and short sleeve cotton t's when mowing. I like the long sleeve to keep the sun off me. You do feel a little less beat by the end of the day. I only have two of them with my company name on it tho. The rest are short sleeves. At home and when I'm fishing I wear those UnderArmour long sleve shirts. They're called "Heat Gear" shirts. I like the white ones. They do stain easy, esp when you get fish guts or oil or whatever else on them. It says no bleach, but I bleach them and they seem fine. Those things are spendy but they really do work nice to keep you cool and sunburn free. They're not the tight ones, rather, they're a loose fitting, lightweight polyester type material. Keeps you cool, dry and keeps the sun off. Id LOVE to get these with my company name on them but haven't found anywhere with decent prices for small orders to get them customized. I'm sure I could find some off brand shirt of the same type and get them lettered. Might look in to that for next year. In the Spring, when I don't have any sun tan yet, I wear one of those "Buffs" on my neck. It's the same kind of material as those underarmour shirts but its like a neck gaiter. keeps me from getting burned and also can double as a decent dust mask if u pull it over your face.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Try any of the new breed of "wicking" performance gear. It's like night and day. I now realize that cotton is for cool weather.
Seriously, who even wears cotton anymore for anything where you will be sweating. I am strictly Under Armour, but only b/c I get a nice discount. There are other cheaper companies that are producing the same technology as Under Armour.