Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark 30 - New Transmission

Hey guys.
I'm selling my 30 and have had a few people interested. The only hold off is I'm asked does it have the new transmission. It does not, but will Exmark go ahead and put me a new one on mine? If its a defective transmission that just hasn't "gone out yet" I'd much rather just go ahead and get it replaced.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ask them- the baddest thing that will happen is that they'll laugh at you. Personally I don't think they will unless you do it at your own expense(ouch). I got over 100 hours of run time on my tranny so far and (knock on wood) I've had no problems. good luck

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Sponsor

Since the number of suspect transmissions is relatively small, we will not be replacing transmissions as a preventative measure. If the transmission is destined to fail, it is failing extremely quickly. (Usually within the first 5 hours of use.) The failure rate (from a % standpoint) is not high enough that everyone in all parts of the country will see it. However, the failure rate is high enough that it does not meet Exmark’s standards or expectations nor those of the customers. For customers who are using them and have more than 20 hours of use, they probably do not have a transmission with issues. BUT, just to be sure, we have extended the warranty on the transmission portion of the units until 2 years from date of purchase.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is this warranty transferable if the mower is sold?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Is this warranty transferable if the mower is sold?
Yes it is. I have the 30 how would you know if you need the new transmission. Mine is real weak pulling up hills but this is how it was from day one. Is the new transmission much stronger about pulling up hills. It struggles to get up the gate on the landscape truck.
Stihl
9mm
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds bad to me. Mine still runs strong. Mabey not as strong as first day but I haven't adjusted the cables yet as your supposed to. Mine may have 25 hrs on it.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Sounds bad to me. Mine still runs strong. Mabey not as strong as first day but I haven't adjusted the cables yet as your supposed to. Mine may have 25 hrs on it.
U think it needs adjustment or just replaced. I have had it about 6 months.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure. I guess look in your manual for instructions and go ahead and do the adjustment. Or better yet just run by your dealer and have them check it out and tell them about the trans problems. Exmark did change the warranty on the trans from one to two years which is quite awesome. I think I'm gonna run this trans into the ground and get them to change it out just before the two year mark.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just kidding Exmark!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got about 125 hours on mine now and I have adjusted the drive cable many times-so yes that would help immensely and you can easily do it while on a lawn with just a leatherman. Yesterday for the first time I adjusted the blade belt that goes from the engine to the spindles and that make a huge difference as the qoc was starting to suffer. The spindle belt was adjusted at about the 50 hour mark. I am getting ready to replace both the drive belt and the engine to spindle belt as I feel they may be starting to wear out and I prefer to be ahead of potential issues. I don't know if the info will help any, hope it does. The owners manuel does a pretty adequate job of telling what needs to be done. one last thing-if you need to remove the entire belt cover slide it towards the muffler side of the engine as I have not been able to get it removed going to the other side

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON