Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
It's amazing how much we think alike.
Probably because we both have good old Missouri common sense!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post
Sure. This does not have my header or company name on it or any specific rates that I may charge.

Scope of Work
Services included for regular maintenance during growing season are as follows:
• Mow turf areas.
• Trim around obstacles on property
• Edge curbs and sidewalks of maintained areas every mowing.
• Blow curbs, sidewalks, and deck/porch.

Services to be performed during non-growing season
• Blow leaves onto main area of the property.
• Mulch leaves with mower (mulch kit installed on mower) or blow leaves to curb or collect and remove from property (additional charge).

Services that can be performed on an as-needed basis for an additional charge are as follows:
• Trim hedges throughout the property; clean-up and dispose of trimmings.
• Prune low height branches.
• Apply mulch or pine straw to designated areas around property.
• Property clean-up (I.E. pickup sticks or debris).

Agreement Terms
• Each mow will cost $__________.
• Mows will be performed on a specified day each week (or every other week) unless weather, mechanical, or medical issues occur.
• If every other week mowing option is selected there shall not be more than 3 inches of growth since last mow.
• If the turf growth exceeds 3 inches there will be an additional $--------- due to extra wear and tear on equipment and extra time needed to complete the job.
• The turf will not be cut any lower than 3.5 inches unless otherwise recommended due to turf type.
• Pet waste must be removed prior to pre-determined visit date.
• All invoices will be emailed to a specified email address at the beginning of each month for the previous month’s services.
• An additional fee may apply for the first mow in order to meet the expectations and standards of (Company name). (for example, if lawn is severely overgrown, or edging requiring additional labor/time).

(Company name) is a licensed and insured business that takes great pride in professionalism and customer satisfaction. All work will be completed by using well-maintained commercial grade equipment for best results. All safety precautions will be taken to avoid damage to any person(s) or property.

*Note- The price given is for pre-specified work and terms. Any extra labor and material will result in an additional charge to be paid in full by the client during the next billing cycle.

Contractor Signature _________________ Date ____________

Client Signature ______________________ Date ____________

Wow that straight to the point and spot on. Have you had any clients question the additional charge if their bi weekly yard his higher than 3in. If so how do you go about explaining it to them and what happens after that?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I just tell them that since I will only cut cool season grass no lower than 3.5. If it grows more than 3 inches between mows that it will require more time to make it look good which I expect to compensated for. I let them chose, but also let them know if the grass is should be cut every week, but they insist on EOW that they won't be saving that much money. It's more of a way for me to coax them into weekly. If they don't like it I just politely pass up the job because I quote a job at one mow not three.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Joel D I really like that customer agreement would it be alright if I used it as an outline/reference and type up a similar version that would work for me I wanted to ask instead of just taking it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post
I just tell them that since I will only cut cool season grass no lower than 3.5. If it grows more than 3 inches between mows that it will require more time to make it look good which I expect to compensated for. I let them chose, but also let them know if the grass is should be cut every week, but they insist on EOW that they won't be saving that much money. It's more of a way for me to coax them into weekly. If they don't like it I just politely pass up the job because I quote a job at one mow not three.

Man you are exactly right you are an inspiration my friend.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Personally, I think the way one should handle this is to mow it once, leaving it looking like crap, and say nothing. When the customer complains, tell them that is what happens when you skip a mowing during heavy growth.

In reality though, it is difficult for me to leave a mess, so I'd probably end up making it look as good as possible, and not charge any extra money. This time. If it happens again, you can address it then.
Sorry, but this is poor advice. You guys do things a little differently I know, but really? I can barely stand people asking me to skip during a drought, let alone when grass is really growing. I wouldn't stand for it even once. In fact, I let one lady know in July when she asked me to skip because "it hadn't rained in awhile" that that was fine but there would be an extra charge the next time due to excess growth etc. She dropped me, and I was glad, I don't want to work for people like this. You have to nip it in the bud immediately if you want to build your business and not have it full of people who will take a mile when you give them an inch.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Sorry, but this is poor advice. You guys do things a little differently I know, but really? I can barely stand people asking me to skip during a drought, let alone when grass is really growing. I wouldn't stand for it even once. In fact, I let one lady know in July when she asked me to skip because "it hadn't rained in awhile" that that was fine but there would be an extra charge the next time due to excess growth etc. She dropped me, and I was glad, I don't want to work for people like this. You have to nip it in the bud immediately if you want to build your business and not have it full of people who will take a mile when you give them an inch.

Let me ask you this then because it's really itching me to know. I will give you the rub down then ask.

Ok well it's late summer the year is 2013 we have not had an inch of rain since late spring. The grass as of September has literally not grown one inch since the week before I serviced this yard. Customer called and said that her grass doesn't need mowing because the grass just isn't growing and she is right. The grass growth has slowed down tremendously to the point that my weeklys aren't needing it done weekly and my biweekly s aren't needing it biweekly.

So how would you go about this situation being that when you do go and finally cut that there isn't enough to chagre for extra time being on the yard.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat you are Chuck Norris. My lawns are brown and crispy. I have a had a few call to skip two or even three wks, but for the most part I just let them know I would be skipping. I realize there is not much to mow right now, but if I sense that a customer is trying to push things or have me not come "until it rains again" then I would have to say something. But I'm afraid we weren't talking about those circumstances. We're talking about steady growing conditions that are going on in a large part of the country right now do to average or above average rainfall. I really like the service agreement used above, in my area contracts are unheard of, but the agreement used never binded the customer to have to use your services. Where I am right now, we're in a moderate drought, but I still don't want to give the customer the impression that they're going to tell me when to come and not to. I have a few customers who insist on me coming weekly still because they "like things looking trim every week." These ones are worth their weight in gold.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I'm in the same boat you are Chuck Norris. My lawns are brown and crispy. I have a had a few call to skip two or even three wks, but for the most part I just let them know I would be skipping. I realize there is not much to mow right now, but if I sense that a customer is trying to push things or have me not come "until it rains again" then I would have to say something. But I'm afraid we weren't talking about those circumstances. We're talking about steady growing conditions that are going on in a large part of the country right now do to average or above average rainfall. I really like the service agreement used above, in my area contracts are unheard of, but the agreement used never binded the customer to have to use your services. Where I am right now, we're in a moderate drought, but I still don't want to give the customer the impression that they're going to tell me when to come and not to. I have a few customers who insist on me coming weekly still because they "like things looking trim every week." These ones are worth their weight in gold.

Indeed man. I didn't realize that he was talking about normal growning conditions being that I have no idea what normal growing conditions are at this point
Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And also to answer your question, there would be no additional charge when you come and there is no unreasonable growth, unless you have a contract that covers droughts and pays you regardless. Try to diversify as much as possible so that you're not relying solely on mowing for income. If you have to skip offer to pull weeds or water flowers or trim bushes or anything. Right now I'm just looking to fall as I don't see the grass coming back anytime soon unless we have 2 or three inches or a tropical storm which saved us last year. I hope we have something before Leaf cleanup time since it's nice to go into that already on a weekly routine.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower