Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the order from least to best would be fabricated, welded, then stamped...
Then again that mower cost extra because it's green!
Something about that paint, awful expensive stuff.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee003 View Post
It comes from the manufacturers who don't have the capability to make a stamped deck! The equipment it takes to stamp large pieces of 7 gauge steel is a major capital investment.
That's correct. I had that at the end of my post. I don't know why it isn't there now. The press they stamp them with is enormous. It takes 4 million pounds of pressure to stamp a 7 gauge sheet of steel into the shape of the deck.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I think the order from least to best would be fabricated, welded, then stamped...
Then again that mower cost extra because it's green!
Something about that paint, awful expensive stuff.
That's just BS. Exmark's are far more expensive here than JD, and most other brands. Deere is the same price as Scag, Ferris and Hustler here. Parts aren't anymore expensive than for any other brand here either.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

A 2,000 ton stamp press machine that can punch 7g steel is 2-5 million USD.....as was said above, that is some serious capital $. Welding is cheaper and allows more design changes over time at a lower cost as if you want to change a stamp for a new deck design, its several hundred thousand for a new die.

JD has the pockets to do it.....
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Im glad the OP posted this. i very rarely see anyone posting about deere. Its all exmark scag gravely etc. I am in the market for a new mower and this has really peaked my interest now. Mainly after seeing the cut quality in that field. I have seen one other mower close to that in high grass and it was a video of a guy that had just bought a gravely. And on top of everything else the dealer that carries deere here is a supply house that supplies parts to all repair shops in the area. Sounds like I might have just decided.......
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I have never understood where the idea that fabbed is better comes from, or what it is based in/on. It makes no sense from a logical viewpoint. I guess maybe because the first commercial mowers came that way, everyone thinks that's the right way.

The 7 Iron is as good as it gets for a commercial mower deck. They are the same thickness of steel as all other commercial ZTR's (I know that BB uses a 5 gauge deck in some models, but I still won't own one), and JD doesn't use a low grade of steel either. There are no welds to fail or break, not near as many corners for grass to collect in. The rounded corners spread the load from impacts (in a similar fashion that a rounded arch in a bridge spreads the load to many points at once (think of the Roman arches).
Hey Ridin', as you know we almost always see things "eye to eye" but my opinion is different from yours in this case. (Guess it had to happen sooner or later).

First let say that I can see where a stamped deck probably contributes to smoother air flow because of the curves instead of the angles/corners, and I'm sure you're right about the eqp needed to stamp metal that thick being expensive.

But, having said that, I can't imagine a fabbed deck ever rusting thru like you see stamped decks doing from time to time, and the thicker heavier fabbed decks will take much more abuse from hitting obstacles. And at today's speeds, most of the impacts are far worse than they used to be, and that equates to (potentially) much more damage.

For me personally, Monday was a perfect example. I was mowing about 2/3 full stick (10mph) when the deck on my Bad Boy Lightning caught a partially exposed root that was about 2 1/2 inches in diameter (the exposed section was about 4 ft long). When I hit the root the mower immediately dropped to about 4-5 mph, and the force from the impact yanked the root up out of the ground about 2 inches and exposed another 3 or 4 ft of it.

If the deck on the Lightning just had the typical 4 chains attaching it to the mower frame and didn't have the 4 trailing arms that it is equipped with, I'm not at all sure that it wouldn't have broken at least some of the chains (or their mounting brackets). I've never, and I mean never hit anywhere that hard, but there was absolutely no damage to the deck at all.

After hitting something like that at that speed....I can't imagine what a stamped deck would have looked like, and I'll bet the sound of 1 or more of the blades getting into the deck would have been something else too.

As for the eqp needed to build stamped decks, as I said before, I know it has got to be expensive, but I imagine the plasma cutters and robotic welders used to build fabbed decks isn't cheap either.

Then you have the labor factor. I would think there would be much more time/labor required to build fabbed decks compared to stamped.

Seems odd to have a differing opinion from you, but as I said, I guess it had to happen sooner or later!
Just my .02, Stan
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Stan,
Glad to hear from ya again.
I am a bit puzzled by your thoughts on this though. A stamped deck made of 7 gauge steel is just as thick and strong as a welded deck made of 7 gauge steel is, and there's much more chance of a fabbed deck's front skirt being bent into the blades than there is a stamped deck because of the square corners between the front skirt and top panel of the welded deck. Then, I have NEVER seen a stamped commercial deck rusted through even after being totally neglected. I have a seen it on a fabbed deck though. I was just sent a pic of one from a friend here on LS, but I am not sure he'd appreciate me posting it here. Have I ever seen a rusted through stamped HO deck? Sure, but they are almost always the 12 - 13 gauge steel stamped decks found on low end HO machines that have never had the under side cleaned out. My 23 year old JD garden tractor has a typical 12 gauge steel deck that was stamped and it is still going strong on the original sealed bearings and there's no holes in it. It has been used to cut a ton of wet grass over the years, but i don't leave that crap under there for weeks or months at a time like many HO's do.

Many ZTR's are now using a single steel loop or a link/sleave system for mounting the deck. The Deere is the same way. It uses two heavy cast iron push arms to locate the deck front to rear.

You can build an awful lot of fabbed decks for what the price of one of those presses would cost to stamp decks with.

It's all good anyway.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought, for my church, a new 2013 Deere 915B for just over $6K OTD no tax. I know this is more of their entry level commercial machine, but that is a dang good price. Would be just over $7K for me though, without the non prof discount.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

You will love that machine. This year I bought a new 950R with the 60"MOD and really love the machine. I dont know where people get that you pay more for the green paint. I paid less for the Deere than I could get a Scag for and i liked the cut a little better on the deere. As far as the stamped decks rusting, I like ridin green have never seen this and I even pressure wash mine out. Not to say it cant happen though, I just never have seen it.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hi Stan,
Glad to hear from ya again.
I am a bit puzzled by your thoughts on this though. A stamped deck made of 7 gauge steel is just as thick and strong as a welded deck made of 7 gauge steel is, and there's much more chance of a fabbed deck's front skirt being bent into the blades than there is a stamped deck because of the square corners between the front skirt and top panel of the welded deck. Then, I have NEVER seen a stamped commercial deck rusted through even after being totally neglected. I have a seen it on a fabbed deck though. I was just sent a pic of one from a friend here on LS, but I am not sure he'd appreciate me posting it here. Have I ever seen a rusted through stamped HO deck? Sure, but they are almost always the 12 - 13 gauge steel stamped decks found on low end HO machines that have never had the under side cleaned out. My 23 year old JD garden tractor has a typical 12 gauge steel deck that was stamped and it is still going strong on the original sealed bearings and there's no holes in it. It has been used to cut a ton of wet grass over the years, but i don't leave that crap under there for weeks or months at a time like many HO's do.

Many ZTR's are now using a single steel loop or a link/sleave system for mounting the deck. The Deere is the same way. It uses two heavy cast iron push arms to locate the deck front to rear.

You can build an awful lot of fabbed decks for what the price of one of those presses would cost to stamp decks with.

It's all good anyway.
OK Ridin'....that's it!!!!!
I formerly challenge you to a dual....what do you prefer, arm wrestling....or full blown fisticuffs????
Have a good wkend! Stan