The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hi Stan,
Glad to hear from ya again.
I am a bit puzzled by your thoughts on this though. A stamped deck made of 7 gauge steel is just as thick and strong as a welded deck made of 7 gauge steel is, and there's much more chance of a fabbed deck's front skirt being bent into the blades than there is a stamped deck because of the square corners between the front skirt and top panel of the welded deck. Then, I have NEVER seen a stamped commercial deck rusted through even after being totally neglected. I have a seen it on a fabbed deck though. I was just sent a pic of one from a friend here on LS, but I am not sure he'd appreciate me posting it here. Have I ever seen a rusted through stamped HO deck? Sure, but they are almost always the 12 - 13 gauge steel stamped decks found on low end HO machines that have never had the under side cleaned out. My 23 year old JD garden tractor has a typical 12 gauge steel deck that was stamped and it is still going strong on the original sealed bearings and there's no holes in it. It has been used to cut a ton of wet grass over the years, but i don't leave that crap under there for weeks or months at a time like many HO's do.

Many ZTR's are now using a single steel loop or a link/sleave system for mounting the deck. The Deere is the same way. It uses two heavy cast iron push arms to locate the deck front to rear.

You can build an awful lot of fabbed decks for what the price of one of those presses would cost to stamp decks with.

It's all good anyway.
Duplicate...........
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
OK Ridin'....that's it!!!!!
I formerly challenge you to a dual....what do you prefer, arm wrestling....or full blown fisticuffs????
Have a good wkend! Stan
Well, Monday I have to kick someone's butt. Tuesday, I think I'm getting mine kicked. How's Wednsday look for ya?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Well, Monday I have to kick someone's butt. Tuesday, I think I'm getting mine kicked. How's Wednsday look for ya?
At this stage of the game (and considering my back and neck problems) I'd probably be like the 2 old men who decided the only way to settle their differences was to have a fist fight. These 2 old fellows were gettin' waaay on in the years, and were so out of shape, they had to stop and take 2 breaks before they got the matter settled!

Sorry to the OP....didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Stan
Old 09-07-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
At this stage of the game (and considering my back and neck problems) I'd probably be like the 2 old men who decided the only way to settle their differences was to have a fist fight. These 2 old fellows were gettin' waaay on in the years, and were so out of shape, they had to stop and take 2 breaks before they got the matter settled!

Stan
LOL no problem, I enjoyed y'all's back and forth banter and the deck discussion was pretty good. I use to haul Honda lawn mower parts back in the day and got to watch how they stamped out the push mower decks and how they made the plastic decks they were trying out back in the mid 90's.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Stan
We'd end up like ole Frazier and Cliff Claven on Cheers when they were going to fight. It took several hours to lay down the ground rules and in the end the only place allowed to hit was above the belt and below the ribs LOL
Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We'd end up like ole Frazier and Cliff Claven on Cheers when they were going to fight. It took several hours to lay down the ground rules and in the end the only place allowed to hit was above the belt and below the ribs LOL
Sounds about right.......
I'm callin' it a day, have a good'un! Stan
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds about right.......
I'm callin' it a day, have a good'un! Stan
Yep, me too. Couple swigs o' Geritol and off to bed.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel?

How we'll does the 930 do on hills and fuel?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I've not really checked the actual fuel consumption but I'm happy with where it's at.
As for hills and slopes, LOVE the way it sticks. Never once have I felt like it was about to
slide out from under me. I'm always putting it down in the ditch (as long as it's dry) to
mow. My 820A I would never put it where I put the 930.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawsonLC View Post
I've not really checked the actual fuel consumption but I'm happy with where it's at.
As for hills and slopes, LOVE the way it sticks. Never once have I felt like it was about to
slide out from under me. I'm always putting it down in the ditch (as long as it's dry) to
mow. My 820A I would never put it where I put the 930.
Would it be to much for me to ask u to check your fuel usage next time and or a complete "estimate" because I am looking at buying 2 for next year with baggers were ralking about 25k investment? I sure want to make the investment right.
Posted via Mobile Device