Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SAWDOC
And last check you tank vent.
Have you checked that the tank is venting properly? I'm not sure how your particular machine is set up, but this happens with new employees for me who don't know to check that the gasket is set correctly in the gas tank cap after filling the tank (mostly with the backpack blowers).
Old 03-04-2003, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you run it at full throttle for 2 to 5 minutes?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Fixed

Thanks everyone for your help. It runs fine now it was the crank seals
Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear it. Congratulations for a job well done!
Old 03-10-2003, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a quick and VERY IMPORTANT tip on these units. Instead of running the unit at full throttle, just "blip" the throttle (so that the engine sounds like it is racing). Because there is a clutch interface, this will keep the shaft/blade RPMs very high while not requiring the engine to constantly run at high RPM. This will get you through 99.9% of your work and save a tremendous amount of wear on your engine.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could this be what's wrong with my blower?

I'm curious if this is what's wrong with my Echo blower. It's just sitting around now, because I bought a little handheld for around $60 and used it a year or so, then it started dying on me, and becoming very difficult to start. When I took it to the shop they could get it to work, but apperently did not solve the problem, which was very frusterating for me, since I brought the thing back several times. When the blower did start it would only run at an idle, and died when I tried to give it more gas. They mentioned something about a pressure leak, and finally told me that it wouldn't be worth repairing. I don't have a working blower right now and the thing is sitting in my back yard. Does it sound like the crankshaft seals?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 03-30-2003, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Re: Could this be what's wrong with my blower?

Quote:
Originally posted by LawnMowerMan2003
Does it sound like the crankshaft seals?
It's difficult to tell from what little you've said about your blower. One of the things I like about Echo equipment is it's pretty easy to fix once you get the hang of it. I have alot of Echo equipment, and contrary to what you were told, I've always found it a bunch easier and cheaper to fix than buying new.

Start off with the easy stuff: check the air filter. It needs air to run when you give it throttle. If you run the engine, and it dies when you give it gas: pull the vent off its hose. If you hear a pop as you pull the vent out of the hose, replace the vent. Or, careful if you do this one, does it run well with the gas cap removed? If yes, replace the vent. Suspect the fuel filter is clogged? Replace it. No spark? If after checking all the wiring for breaks/shorts and verifying the ground is ok, and you're using a good plug, suspect the coil. Replaced the coil on my Echo Shred-N-Vac last month. Cost $75 but a whole lot cheaper than a new Shred-N-Vac. If the unit is older and you've eliminated all the usual suspects I just mentioned (and you haven't been messing with the carb), suspect the crank seals. The bog down sound the unit makes from getting too much air through broken seal(s) is the same sound it makes from not getting enough gas due to a faulty vent or fuel filter. The seals are cheap, and if you keep your parts in order when you remove them, not difficult to replace. HINT: If you suspect the crank seals, check the one under the pull rope first. It's easiest to get to. If the engine itself is damaged, for example the piston locks up in the cylinder or whatever, you can replace it with what they call a new "short block". I did this on my Power Edger last year. I think the short block cost $100-$125. Edger's like new now. Finally, if you've got a unit that uses a clutch, for example a string edger, and you've got it running good, but you can't get it to idle well, replace the centrifugal clutch.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind if you left your blower sitting outside with untreated gas (no Sta-Bil) in it, you probably have more problems than it's worth. But what the hay, take a shot at it. Take your time, and if your lucky, you might be able to fix it and learn something at the same time. It doesn't cost anything to just look at it. And if you need any help, just holler.

Last edited by Hud; 03-30-2003 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. It was very informative. I have not attemtped to repair my oqn equipment before, but as you mentioned, I don't see how it could be all that complicated, as I have repaired computers before. Right now I have only 5 residential accounts, so more time than money, making it worth it for me to take a look at the things you mentioned. I'll post again after I have checked some things out.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 03-30-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

You'll do fine; what've you got to lose. Interestingly, the first piece of my Echo equipment that I ever attempted to repair was my PB2400 (blower). My local dealer, great guy BTW, was way too backed up to fix it immediately. He told me what he thought might be wrong with it, told me how to fix it, and sold me the part.
It was a worn out crank seal. And if you need to lock the piston to remove a nut or part from the ends of the crank, take some advice from my first experience: DON"T lock the piston by sticking anything into the exhaust/muffler port. My blower survived it, but I had a good case of beginner's luck. Use a piston stop/lock tool.

BTW, you can buy carb rebuild kits. And if you find any bolts way too tight when you're disassembling, spray them with penetrating oil, and let 'em soak for awhile. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blower update

OK, here is what I did to the blower:

First I checked for a spark. Had spark, but the plug was a little dirty so I cleaned the plug. Next, I took out the air filter and tried to start it. It started fairly quickly once I got the carb primed, and actually ran pretty good for a few minutes but then RPM started to slow down. Apparently, sitting outside has locked the throttle down, which isn't too big of a deal; I'm more concerned with the other problem: It starts OK, but it will barely run with the choke off. To get any RPM I have to put the choke almost all the way on. Cleaning or even removing the air filter doesn't seem to make any difference, and removing the lid to the gas tank didn't seem to make any difference either. I let the engine cool off, and had the same problem when I started it again, this time it would barely run with the choke off, even after I warmed it up. What do you suggest next?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT