Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Things I've learned thanks to experience , a friend and lawnsite

I will try to keep this succinct and my hope is his having some I the issues I had starting out will save some time and frustration. My brother works for me full time now which is what made me think of this. It's his first full time job so watching someone as green as I have I learned quick that if you don't have experience it's easy to be in efficient or downright slow I started when I was younger as a third , sometimes 4th job doing odd jobs. When my income fell I decided to go all in. First couple years was rough. I got insurance as soon as I started mowing and properly insure my vehicles etx. Got an accountant the second year. Should have got one the first year.

The more organized I got the more efficient obviously. Proper maintnence , sharp blades , proper tire pressure, all obvious but normally when I had a frusrating problem it was something simple. Rpms on the more plagued my cut for a while till I fixed that. Proper deck pitch, a level deck and sharp blades everyday solved basically every poor cut issue. I prefer razor sharp blades each morning. An ocdc was I lifesaver and between this and powering down I greatly reduced cleanup time and blowing around debris and grass which people don't like of course. The powering down May be more important than my ocdc. I attached a piece of belt material ( like on the top of a snow plow) to the flap and it really seals up and I can mow right next to a mulch bed or sidewalk when powered down (about 2800rpms) and generally not even have to blow it off.

Did a LOT of reading, asked questions here when I could not find the answer. Had lots of help from my best friend that had done this for years. I went from a few odd jobs in the evening and in vacation days and weekends to 2 mowers(will add a third soon) , an employee (properly insured and payed) approximately 30 residentials a couple of these estate type properties that are full service, about 30 acres of commercial. I got my spray license and again read a LOT! Also took a couple irrigation workshops and started irrigation maintnence.

Attention to detail and learning that some customers just want to speak to you occasionally (even sometimes when you don't have time!) . Being there when I say I will. Throw in a little something extra and show it on the bill no charge ( roundup the sidewalk cracks, blow off some cobwebs etc.) don't be afraid to sell extra work.

Uniform shirts khaki work pants. and shave once in a while (hate that , a smile and a wave to everyone at my commercial properties and remembering who likes the bushes trimmed way back and who likes to leave them tall etc.

Sorry the post is so long but thanks lawnsite. Plenty of work still out here for people that do it right a by the rules!

Z
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I second this as this site and the members here have helped make me better at this craft.Thank you to all of you...