Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Iron Pyrite as a unique accent

Has anyone ever thought or currently use iron pyrite in interior or exterior landscape situations?
If so, have you any pros and cons for its usage.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Natural Iron Pyrite,,, Sucks... get blue,, rolled,,, and turquoise glass...
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Axe,
I am familiar with colored glass remnants used as landscape enhancements from back in the early 80's when I was in my early teens. However, these materials don't strike me a something to enhance million dollar estate's.
I am so tired of seeing the usual field stone, flag stone, aggregate, 3/4 minus 2, skippers,etc.
I can't understand why iron pyrite cannot be something of natural beauty,especially when the sun hits the surface. I see this material in its shiny state at Natural park center's,etc. This stuff is a remnant of the iron ore process and it just slag......but it can be used otherplaces like the green industry.
Why hasn't more been identified in using this product.??
I am trolling to discover a new addition to my services.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is funny! Over 100k members and licensed landscape contractors all the only response is from smallaxe. He thinks this stuff stinks
Does anyone else have any views? Have you ever considered thinking outside the box or is there some problem in using this product?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was only being facetious... personal taste is the ONLY issue when it comes to decoration of any kind... some people think that old tractor tires make a nice garden center piece and how can anyone say that it is a wrong look???
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Axe,
I have seen this material used as a child visiting the Ozark National Forest back in the early 80's. Glass was used also as there is a large plant in that region for waste products. It was beautiful but a little too hillbilly for my designs.
I respect your opinion as i thought that you would discuss a possible soil reaction in using this material.
I think this material could be used as border accents as i am sure that reflection issues is a liability. I just thought that with all our panel members, someone is,has, or at one time thought of this material.

Thanks for responding. I guess my ideas are childish to some or way off the chart for the others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember seeing them too,,, a long time ago so I don't even remember where... I would use the stuff myself, but I agree,, it would likely be a 'rustic' setting...