Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler CV 23 running rich

Let me give you the background. Exmark sat for almost two years when I decided to put it back in service due to other mowers breaking down. I drained all gas, took apart and cleaned the carb, and replaced the fuel filter. The gas had turned to varnish. I ran it for a couple of days, and it still acted strange. I had to run it with the choke halfway on or off depending on how the motor was running. Eventually, it worked itself out and was running great. On the third day, it started running a little rich. There was a little black smoke which I could barely see, but I could smell the extra fumes. It also didn't run very smooth. Just a little too much gas. I figured something got stuck under the needle.

I took the carb back off and cleaned it out again, but I didn't find any gunk in it. I also went ahead and replaced all the fuel lines just in case. Put it back together, and it's still running the same. Any ideas? On the throttle linkage, I have the accelerator pump hooked up with the rod in the hole farthest from the carb and the spring in the hole next to it. Is this correct? Could it just be the mixture screw? The carb is a Keihin single barrel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Does the carb have a diaphram mounted to the side of the carb bowl.?? With a small black hose hooked to it.??
If so...pinch it off or put a bb inside the hose to block it off..
Old 09-15-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tell me you did replace the air filter.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is a hell of a lot more to cleaning a carb. Than the procedure you described
Posted via Mobile Device