Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Can't decide.... Walker GHS or MBK

I am in Ga cutting all Bermuda and had a MCGHS 18hp and sold it because I wanted to upgrade. I also run a Grandstand 24/48 on large rough lawns.

I have a demo on Monday with walker MBK 18hp with 48" mulch deck. I really like the walker cut but not sure i need to collect at all. Even in leaf season a lot guys around here mulch.

My main concern is price, hillside stability, and dumping grass with GHS. Of course I could run a mulch deck during middle of season.

If I went with MBK 23 efi I would just run mulch deck all the time. I hear the hillside stability is great and its a little faster.

What experiences do you guys have and the best setup for bermuda high end lawns. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I think mulching looks just as well as bagging on Bermuda lawns here is Alabama. I have a MB with a 42 mulch deck and 18hp for sale.Could save you thousands and if it doesn't work out with your clients, you can feel better by reselling. Asking $3500 for mine. Only 250 or so hours...Check out the equipment marketplace.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you never have to cut wet grass then I would say jump on it. The cuts will be identical, but the only thing I really like about the ghs machines is that when it's wet the yards still look really good because you don't have the mess afterwards.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I think mulching looks just as well as bagging on Bermuda lawns here is Alabama. I have a MB with a 42 mulch deck and 18hp for sale.Could save you thousands and if it doesn't work out with your clients, you can feel better by reselling. Asking $3500 for mine. Only 250 or so hours...Check out the equipment marketplace.

I will give it a look. I'm hoping the demo proves successful. I really like the idea of not having to worry about scalping the lawn as much. I have to be extra careful with toro.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
If you never have to cut wet grass then I would say jump on it. The cuts will be identical, but the only thing I really like about the ghs machines is that when it's wet the yards still look really good because you don't have the mess afterwards.
Its hard to say I won't cut wet grass, but the toro does it pretty good. I had a walker mulch deck and noticed it didn't leave a line of grass on outside of the pass. It just left the clippings all over the top of the grass. It's a tough decision. The MBK 23 EFI is $9350 new and the MTGHS 23hp is $11??? Not a huge difference but it adds up
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well you will definitely cut more grass with the mbk. Not having to dump will save you a lot of time over a season
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well you will definitely cut more grass with the mbk. Not having to dump will save you a lot of time over a season
Do y'all think it would be worth it to have the GHS setup with an extra mulch deck? That get to be a lot $$$, and I still would have the speed and hill issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's a little late now, but it almost sounds like you should have kept the GHS for the rare occasions when you need to collect clippings and leaves, and get the MBK for everyday use.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's the problem, ghs mowers are specialized machines. While they will still run the mulch/sd decks, they were meant to do one thing and that is bag grass. I have looked at getting a mulch/sd deck for myself to try and save time, but in the end I would be much better off with an mb.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That's the problem, ghs mowers are specialized machines. While they will still run the mulch/sd decks, they were meant to do one thing and that is bag grass. I have looked at getting a mulch/sd deck for myself to try and save time, but in the end I would be much better off with an mb.
Have any of you tried the MB ? How does it do with light leaves and cutting at least an inch of grass at a time. Do you have to double cut or blow?

Overall I'm after the best lookin cut possible and not wasting time. When you think about running a GHS full time vs MB mulch, I might save time up front with collecting clippings vs having to double cut or blow off yard because at the end of the day I have crap load of clippings to get off trailer.