Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

SnapperPro x150st VS Scag, etc.. blade speed, HP, etc.. Please help

I currently have a SnapperPro S150XT mower with a 52" deck and 28 hp Briggs. This past year, I was pretty happy with it....

But while driving down the road and just looking at various homes, commercial properties, watching guys on Scags and other popular mowers cut, it just seems to cut better than my Snapper. Don't get me wrong, the Snapper is great... I just feel like the blades don't spin fast enough to cut through thick/overgrown grass.

Is there a certain type of blade that I need to be using to give these properties a very, very clean cut and to mow down thick areas with no problem?

My thoughts are all over the place. I just want the right equipment for the job.

For instance, there was a 110,000 sq.ft. field that I had to cut every 3 weeks for a client last year. I almost always had to double cut it. Even then, the cut wasn't clean and I wasn't happy with it. The grass would be dry, but they just wait 3 weeks before calling me.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of blades are you currently running? If you aren't already using high lift gators or something, that may improve the cut quality.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating hedge trimmer, straight shaft edger, power pruner, and pro torque trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower
Stihl Br600 backpack blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I've just been using the standard mulching blade. That may be my main problem. Do high lift gator blades show a noticeable difference in the quality of the cut? Thanks for responding.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the high lift regular blades will make a big difference. Every three weeks to mow a lawn is ridiculous and to think its going to come out clean is silly. I hope you re charging 4 times the amount of a regular cut. That puts a lot of wear on your mower and a major time sucker. I would go over it once and be done. If they want it just knocked down then don't waste your time. If they want it looking like a real lawn then it's 10 days or a week. I hate the ten day thing but it can be an option for some folks. Don't use the gators to mow grass, they really are for leaves and early spring junk. The best blades i've come across are the oregon high lifts for durability and performance. The OEM scag blade are good but are not durable at all. I found that hard to believe on my first set then after the forth set of the season I determined they were sheet! So experienced opinion right there. Went back to oregon high lifts and all is well and back to normal, they cut better, hold an edge longer and don't disintigrate.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ashgrove! Yeah, this 1 particular customer, like I said has a 110,000 sq.ft. "meadow" or "side field" next to their house, on top of their regular SOD grass and roadside grass, trimming, edging, blowing that needs to be done. Problem is, they have me mow the sod every 2 weeks (yeah, I know.. horrible.. I've tried explaining) and the "meadow" every 3-4 weeks. This meadow alone takes right at 3 hours to mow, bogs down my mower a ton.. and still is crappy after 2 cuts.. I've got to change something or else drop them as a customer.

Btw, is there a good website to buy blades on that will match it to your particular mower, model number, etc? I've already just went into my local mower shop, but they only carry basic blades, which I want to get away from. Just not doing a good enough job, especially with having such a nice mower.

Thanks again for the help. That gave me a lot of insight.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of the sponsors on here should have what you need or even ebay. I ordered a few sets off ebay and bought a set or 2 from my dealer but will most likely order the rest from jackssmallengines.com
Husqvarna 570bts
Husqvarna 525ls trimmer
Husqvarna 223 trimmer
Stihl Kombi KM 130R
Stihl FC90 edger
Stihl HS 56C hedge trimmer
6.5x14ft Superior trailer with extreme racks