Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR840 View Post
Have any of you tried the MB ? How does it do with light leaves and cutting at least an inch of grass at a time. Do you have to double cut or blow?

Overall I'm after the best lookin cut possible and not wasting time. When you think about running a GHS full time vs MB mulch, I might save time up front with collecting clippings vs having to double cut or blow off yard because at the end of the day I have crap load of clippings to get off trailer.
Both sides if your statements are completely true and that's the problem we face in the business.

The nearest thing to an mb I have used is an old mtsd with the 62" sd deck. It had a 20hp kohler and would cut almost anything. Side hilling was a breeze as well as stopping and turning around. We have a good deal of Bermuda around here and it left a cut on Bermuda that was second to none. As you know, Bermuda will show a deck's weaknesses faster than anything. Of course it was not an mb, but I'm sure the mb's are an improvement over that machine.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

My MB does a good job on light leaves. Taking off an inch or so is perfect for a mulch deck. I only double cut with the MB if I am cutting off 4 to 6 inches. It does look good but double cutting makes the clippings disappear.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If you don't bag very often, why not go for an MTSD or MDSD? The "side discharge" versions of the MTGHS and MDGHS.
Sterling Acterra dump
Bobcat 763G
John Deere 244J articulated wheel loader
Deere 4320 tractor, Cab w/ heat and A/C
Gator 6x4 diesel
01, 06, '13 F-350
07 F-450
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I just had the demo with a MBK 18hp / 48" mulch deck. It was all the guy had at the time. The distributor likes the 42" Mulch deck better for leaves and the 48" for taller grass like fescue.

1. The speed is MUCH faster than my GHS. It is very fast backing up.
2. Hillside stability was no issue. I tried to make it slip and lose traction but it never did. Even tried it on a yard that had just been scalped down and grass was very dry.
3. Easy to keep lines straight going down hills. The tracking was a little off, he said it needed adjustment.
4. Mulched up all grass very well, and left nice stripes in Bermuda. I had a good many dry maple leaves on lawns and it mulched up everything that it didn't push out of the way.
5. Easy maintenance, less grease fittings, belts are easy to access,

Overall it was a very nice feel. Very responsive, and could be considered an everyday use mower. It felt as fast or a little faster than my Toro GS 24hp/48". At least it turned faster. Really didn't see many negatives except its not a GHS. There is no didfference in the 18hp and 23hp efi as far as speed. But if you want to ever push a larger deck you would need a 23. I like the 23 because it has a larger gas tank and would not tend to bog down in the taller grass.

The Demo guy said that Bermuda is supposed to be bagged each time and that is why he would also keep a GHS on the trailer. I am not sure if that was a sales tactic to push me into a new GHS or what. But around here most people mulch Bermuda unless it gets to tall and needs to be bagged. I always thought if you bagged, you were removing the natural fertilizer.

Now I have to make the decision.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Toro GrandStand 24hp/48"
Honda 21" HRR216
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FC90 Edger
Stihl FC55 Edger
Stihl HL90 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Redmax EBZ7100 Blower
Redmax EB7001 Blower
Stihl BR420C Blower

www.RagleLawnServices.com
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, but the GHS units are not "specialty machines made to do one thing which is bag grass" Please tell that to the multiple guys I know that run GHS units with SD decks.... The blower can be de-activated and what you are left with is a SD machine that still has great cut quality.... Or, tell it to the multiple people using them for snow removal as well. As for the problem of clippings.... I will never understand why some folks are so darn lazy... We do the 1;2;1;...... That is, 1 full walker hopper put into 2 green barrels, thrown into the truck in less than 1 minute... Back on the machine and good to go..... I mean, come one, if you have a bad back, or if you cant lift a full green barrel then maybe it's time to find a new profession... Folks always looking for a machine that will do the whole darn job for em.... "hey uh, where can i get a machine that will do my paperwork at night and put my kids to sleep too?"
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Sorry, but the GHS units are not "specialty machines made to do one thing which is bag grass" Please tell that to the multiple guys I know that run GHS units with SD decks.... The blower can be de-activated and what you are left with is a SD machine that still has great cut quality.... Or, tell it to the multiple people using them for snow removal as well. As for the problem of clippings.... I will never understand why some folks are so darn lazy... We do the 1;2;1;...... That is, 1 full walker hopper put into 2 green barrels, thrown into the truck in less than 1 minute... Back on the machine and good to go..... I mean, come one, if you have a bad back, or if you cant lift a full green barrel then maybe it's time to find a new profession... Folks always looking for a machine that will do the whole darn job for em.... "hey uh, where can i get a machine that will do my paperwork at night and put my kids to sleep too?"
Look man we are talking about cutting grass alone. He was not interested in pushing snow or any of the other attachments. I'm well aware that the walker is a very versatile machine an can do many things other than strictly bag grass, but that's all he wanted to know about. The ghs vs the mb series. The ghs series is designed to bag grass, that's it. It was not intended to be run without the bagging system. Can it be? Yes of course, but if the OP is wanting to know what the better mower for his application is, then why give him the run around. Yeah you can disable the blower so that you can run sd/mulch decks, but if the mb does what he needs it to do for several thousand less than a new mt, why buy the mt?

I see your point, but there's no need to call me out and argue about what the walker is or is not meant to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well I just had the demo with a MBK 18hp / 48" mulch deck. It was all the guy had at the time. The distributor likes the 42" Mulch deck better for leaves and the 48" for taller grass like fescue.

1. The speed is MUCH faster than my GHS. It is very fast backing up.
2. Hillside stability was no issue. I tried to make it slip and lose traction but it never did. Even tried it on a yard that had just been scalped down and grass was very dry.
3. Easy to keep lines straight going down hills. The tracking was a little off, he said it needed adjustment.
4. Mulched up all grass very well, and left nice stripes in Bermuda. I had a good many dry maple leaves on lawns and it mulched up everything that it didn't push out of the way.
5. Easy maintenance, less grease fittings, belts are easy to access,

Overall it was a very nice feel. Very responsive, and could be considered an everyday use mower. It felt as fast or a little faster than my Toro GS 24hp/48". At least it turned faster. Really didn't see many negatives except its not a GHS. There is no didfference in the 18hp and 23hp efi as far as speed. But if you want to ever push a larger deck you would need a 23. I like the 23 because it has a larger gas tank and would not tend to bog down in the taller grass.

The Demo guy said that Bermuda is supposed to be bagged each time and that is why he would also keep a GHS on the trailer. I am not sure if that was a sales tactic to push me into a new GHS or what. But around here most people mulch Bermuda unless it gets to tall and needs to be bagged. I always thought if you bagged, you were removing the natural fertilizer.

Now I have to make the decision.....
Posted via Mobile Device
It's good to hear it performed well for you. If I may ask, what is the dealer asking for the mb?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
It's good to hear it performed well for you. If I may ask, what is the dealer asking for the mb?
Posted via Mobile Device
The MBK 18hp $6350 with out deck
The MBK 23hp $7350 with out deck
The MTGHS 26hp $13800 with 42" deck

Mulch deck is $2200 ( I already have a used one)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
This was no help!!!!! But thanks for your opinion!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The MBK 18hp $6350 with out deck
The MBK 23hp $7350 with out deck
The MTGHS 26hp $13800 with 42" deck

Mulch deck is $2200 ( I already have a used one)
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I can't make your decision for you, but go with your gut is all I can say. If it were me, I would be picking up the mbk23 with the 48" mulch deck. Maybe a 52" sd deck with mulch kit.
Posted via Mobile Device