Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Keeping customer credit card on file?

I just recently signed up with square and got the card reader to start accepting credit cards. I am hoping that it will help me with what we all struggle with at times... CASH FLOW!

I recently was reading a thread (forget which one) and came across https://www.just-mowing.com/ I thought the video on their website explaining their business model was very interesting. They keep customer credit cards on file and charge the customer for the lawn mowing the day after service. A cool way to get your money right away!

1. I am wondering if anybody else is doing this, and how you go from being only a cash or check business, into a get-paid-right-away with credit card business?

2. Do i charge a credit card fee with their payment? Or is it worth it to eat the cost of the credit card because I am getting paid on time?

3. Also what software would I need to properly/ securely store all these credit card numbers for my customers?
48" Toro Z400
36" Toro Walk Behind
(x3) 21" Toro Push Mowers
22" Bluebird Dethatcher
ECHO Trimmers & Edgers
Echo & Redmax Blowers
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

great questions...I'm interested also as I plan to start accepting cards next spring.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We started taking credit cards this year, problem is until you have a certain relationship with the customer most aren't willing to give the landscaper access to their credit card number to hold on to. Unless you upcharge for CC fees it will eat into your profit, most small companies do charge for using CC's though.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Different to accept than to keep on file
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Different to accept than to keep on file
Posted via Mobile Device
Understood, we do both.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have not had amore than a few odd problems with folks allowing us to keep a credit card in file for 10, years...I won't do work without it...not allowed to charge fees...but bank account automatic debit is much cheaper...30cents a transaction...goto QuickBooks. It does it all.

Once you move to having multiple crews, you will apreciate not having crews go to the door and waiting on payment...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I have not had amore than a few odd problems with folks allowing us to keep a credit card in file for 10, years...I won't do work without it...not allowed to charge fees...but bank account automatic debit is much cheaper...30cents a transaction...goto QuickBooks. It does it all.

Once you move to having multiple crews, you will apreciate not having crews go to the door and waiting on payment...
How do you handle charging for different services? does the bank withdrawal allow for different rates? We do f/wc also so the bill isn't always the same.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
How do you handle charging for different services? does the bank withdrawal allow for different rates? We do f/wc also so the bill isn't always the same.
Most all ours are on contract...but I have them fill out an authorization form...the service agreement states that when extra services are performed we will charge them to their card after...I recommend submitting an estimate prior to extra services..
The bank withdrawls can be done each invoice or recurring...you might want to email them with the bill and then ask them if its ok to debit their bank account if charges are different from month to month
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We do have some where we bill monthly with all the performed work kn the invoice...so there are different services etc...contracts are vastly different and easier