Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agrostis, you are nailing it for this person. Great job. Exceptionally great information you are giving here.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Agrostis, you are nailing it for this person. Great job. Exceptionally great information you are giving here.

His help is greatly appreciated. As I mentioned earlier I'm far from an expert, more of just a home person that loves to enjoy and take care of the lawn and I couldn't be any more thankful for having someone offer such a tremendous amount of excellent advice. It seems like every time he posts, I learn something new. Appreciate you guys here so very much!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In NC you have primarily acid soil's so i've used lime a lot more, i've only used sulfur on blueberry bush's, so i wouldn't know what the proper rate for you would be, check with your ag. extension service, i'll bet they know. Powdered sulfur is a specialty item (at least in my area) so you might have to look around for it. I don't think the brand matter's, sulfur is sulfur, you just don't want product that has gotten wet.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Thank's, i'm glad that all that time in the sun is good for something.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. You should use a granular fertilizer in a spreader. Use care to make sure you don't apply too much, and you do not want to apply it unevenly. Twice at a low setting rate is better than once at an excessive rate of application. Drop by your local home or hardware store. 26-0-13 would work fine. If it includes some coated slow-release nitrogen--that is good--as it will last longer and keep the green going longer.

I don't think you will find sulfur at the home store. Maybe in your town.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

For the Feeder to spread the Granular Fertilizer, I have a Scott's Feeder, but I have one more quick question from a beginner. When I've used this thing in the past, it seems as if the fertilizer runs through the thing way too fast when I have it adjusted to dispense the recommended amount on the feeder and this was for (I know there are rates for particular spreaders, however I used the rate according to my exact spreader.) Maybe I'm not walking fast enough? Are you suppose to walk these things at a normal pace? Or walk fast? Sorry for such a newbie question, I would rather dispense too less food than too much food.

After everything is all said in done, I know I have a lot of learning to do, this is my first lawn to actually have. I've been living in apartment complexes since me and my girlfriend started college. Now we finally have our new lawn and it's very enjoyable and I must say it feels nice to have the prettiest lawn in my entire neighborhood. I've had many people stop on the corner and look at the lawn. I've had neighbors on every side watching the entire process. I even had an 81 year old cancer patient survivor that came by and thanked me for all my hard work and for cleaning up the neighborhood. (I keep the street swept, clean, and edged up. (We live on a dead end.) I know it's going to be a lot different keeping up with the sod and keeping it great looking as it is. But I couldn't be more thankful for finding this forum. There are many knowledgeable people that go beyond and further than any expectations to answer any questions and help people who are new to lawn renovation or with little experience like myself. I'm going to school for Computer Science for Web-Design and taking many electives to learn PHP, Java, and the whole nine yards and I hope I can help some people here one day!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, I would like to add I'm thankful agrostics had be go ahead with the Zoysia rather than the St. Augustine. We are the only sodded lawn in our neighborhood, but there are a few yards in the next neighborhood over with the St. Augustine.

But a quick question about the watering on the Palisades Zoysia. I read after fully established this grass only needs to be watered once a week. Has anyone heard of this? I understand how too much water saturation can effect and damage roots, but I was thinking being in Texas of maybe watering once or twice a week. Or should I stick to one deep watering a week?

As for now I'm going to stick to the schedule from agrostics, his schedule seems perfect for the first month or two. I'm just looking for advice months down the road. Also, being in Texas where temps are currently 90-100, when should I expect my Zoysia to go into dormant stage for the winter? I've read when temperatures drop below 50 or 55? Is this true? If so, I shouldn't be expecting the dormant stage until late November early December I'm assuming? Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your grass will at least go semi-dormant from Nov. thru Feb. It won't grow and will go off-color. According to the historic average's here -

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USTX0057

- the second week of Jan. is your coldest part of the year with a average low of 39*, that's not very cold.

Once that zoysia is established 1/4" of water once a week put down early in the morning will be all you need. People overwater their grass all the time. Grass is a lot tougher than people give it credit for. When you think that the grass need's water, it's probably fine for 2-3 more week's. When the leaf blade's start to turn blue, that's when the grass is starting to dry out and could use some water. What you have to watch out for is the wind, a constant breeze will dry out any plant quickly.

Exactly what model/kind of spreader is that? I'll bet the fertilizer you see going out of that spreader is normal, you shouldn't have any worry's about that. Spreader's are designed for people walking 3 MPH, which is your normal walking speed.

Use your local ag. extension office, they are a great resource for almost anything having to do with the outdoors and it's free, these are your tax dollar's at work.

http://austin.agrilife.org/

If you have any question's, just ask. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the fertilizer is coming out too fast--cut it back by two notches. You can always go over it twice--or maybe the second time you will have to adjust it a bit lighter to make it come out even. It never comes out even.

I think you will need about 30 minutes of water twice per week in warm weather. More if temps exceed 100. Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Update;

Three days ago I went to check and see how the rooting process was going. In several spots the roots had started to knit, in other areas I could pull up the sod, but begin to see the roots coming at the bottom of the sod squares.
This morning I went and did the same thing. It seems as if most of the lawn is already knitting and taking root as the squares will no longer easily come up. I'm beginning to wonder about mowing. I've heard not to mow until three-four weeks after laying. I've been told not to take off more than an inch at a time, but I know agrostics said to keep the mowing around 1.5 inches. My first mow, I don't want to take so much off that I get the "browning", but my grass is getting really tall. I would say it's already beyond the three inch mark and within 4-5 more days at this rate, I think the complete lawn will have taken root into the soil underneath. Any more mowing advice for my first couple weeks would be awesome! As for the watering and fertilizing I think it has already been nailed spot on the money other than the fact that I can't find the fertilizer at the big box store I was suggested. I was going to go with 20-20-20 or something very close, but can't seem to locate something with this formula at big box orange or blue.

Edit* Also for mowing, I seen agrostics talking about a reel mower. And it seems obvious my lawn will look better with a reel mower. For those of you that have used a reel mower, does it really work for you in the appearance of your lawn? Being just a homeowner, I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of the reel mower as it seems.