Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf Plow, leaf rig

Ok, pretty much every leaf rig I have ever seen is built with a dump trailer that is like 7-8ft tall and 12-16 feet long that can hold ONLY leaves. Now here's my question, at least here in TN, it's rare that a leaf rake on the front of a mower would not be a good idea when doing leaf cleanups, but everyone who builds these trailers can't hold a mower with a leaf rake. Easy solution to that is build the box only big enough so that you can still fit the mower on there.

My question is though, how in the world do you get the leaves out of the big box?!? Last year, the best method was bear hugging the leaves... That was exhausting and took forever. Putting the hose back in and sucking them out doesn't work well cause they are compacted. Our box this year is 8ft. Tall, and 11ft. Long. That's around 16 cu. yds. Of leaves. What's the best method to get them out?

On a side note, there's a company here in Nashville that builds a trailer that is 8ft. Utility trailer on front and 12ft. Dump trailer on back. Perfect situation for this problem, but with a price tag of $6k before building up sides, not worth it for the amount of money you make doing leaves...

Anybody have any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by derektoews; 11-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a pallet or tarp in the front with straps and pull it out with the loader at the dump. Otherwise hook up to a tree or something similar. You could also get a winch from harbor freight and rig something else up. If you that doesn't work for you buy a dump trailer.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx297/derektoews/null_zps4f53cb44.jpg
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the leaf box on my truck so that I can tow my trailer around at the same time. To unload I use either the pallet method or I just shovel/pichfork all the leaves out which takes a while
Posted via Mobile Device