Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
and this is what I'm referring to.


Yup that's it...i hate it along with Virginia creeper and artillery fern. Dollarweed that makes its way into beds is another loathed weed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Yup that's it...i hate it along with Virginia creeper and artillery fern. Dollarweed that makes its way into beds is another loathed weed.
The sulfatrazone in surge is the key. I looked around for the chemical specifically, but it was going to cost an arm and a leg.

I confirmed this with my chem supplier, who is also an applicator in the area. I originally was the one that brought this weed to their attention, and they are the better, "large" application service in the area.

We did the research and came to the conclusion that surge was the best bet. But, like any other 3-4 way lawn chemical, you must watch out for desired plants in the landscape.

We use a pump sprayer with a drift cone on the end. This way we can use it at high pressure, and a small droplet spectrum to get the most bang per shot. This also helps to minimize drift and over-application around wanted plants.



........
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,294
This is the one I have. Hard to kill with glyphosate.
Attached Images
 
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
This is the one I have. Hard to kill with glyphosate.
Actually this is the one i have...its hard to tell the difference but your pic is pretty clear and its the same one we have here. I absolutely hate it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
The sulfatrazone in surge is the key. I looked around for the chemical specifically, but it was going to cost an arm and a leg.

I confirmed this with my chem supplier, who is also an applicator in the area. I originally was the one that brought this weed to their attention, and they are the better, "large" application service in the area.

We did the research and came to the conclusion that surge was the best bet. But, like any other 3-4 way lawn chemical, you must watch out for desired plants in the landscape.

We use a pump sprayer with a drift cone on the end. This way we can use it at high pressure, and a small droplet spectrum to get the most bang per shot. This also helps to minimize drift and over-application around wanted plants.



........
Dismiss is now sold in 6 oz bottles. Price is reasonable for how much area it covers. Surge is like Trimec + sulfentrazone. Great for unplanted/non crop areas. The Trimec will damage ornamentals if someone is not careful. I would feel safer with straight 2,4-D amine around plants. That does not go as deep in the soil as dicamba.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,746
Point being, The sulfatrazone is the chem known to kill Asiatic dayflower.

Regardless of what you product you use, that chem needs to be in it.



.......
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Actually this is the one i have...its hard to tell the difference but your pic is pretty clear and its the same one we have here. I absolutely hate it.
Then save the RoundUp. The alternative herbicides will produce better results.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Point being, The sulfatrazone is the chem known to kill Asiatic dayflower.

Regardless of what you product you use, that chem needs to be in it.



.......
Agreed. I take advantage of the broad spectrum preemergent qualities of sulfentrazone.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
This is the one I have. Hard to kill with glyphosate.
That photo is also what we have. The first pic I posted is what I usually see of a very mature plant.

The second photo reminds me more of the earlier stages of the plant. Basically about half way through the life cycle.



.......
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,986
Wow that worked great. Did sureguard only and it fried the artillery in 2 days and is knocking out the dayflower...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.07651 seconds with 8 queries