Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
woodlawnservice woodlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 557
copper pinch tool or maybe some help?

Do they have a tool to temporarily pinch soft copper closed to make repairs on a live line then be able to unpinch it? We are doing more and more installs and this is a problem on older homes where the corpstops can't be accessed or are stuck open and we need to add in a irrigation meter ...thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM
S.O.Contracting S.O.Contracting is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: State Of Panic
Posts: 178
Don't know about pinching it. But they have options to freeze it.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-P...r/EN/index.htm

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Pi...-Kits/643/List
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM
zman9119 zman9119 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northwest of the idiots in the corn and trees (IL)
Posts: 517
Yes...

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_pr...P65101tool.asp
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,614
Are you stating that there are no curb stops whatsoever? That doesn't make sense. The Call-Before-You-Dig services always get us a complete water markup, including the curb stop.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Do they have a tool to temporarily pinch soft copper closed to make repairs on a live line then be able to unpinch it? We are doing more and more installs and this is a problem on older homes where the corpstops can't be accessed or are stuck open and we need to add in a irrigation meter ...thanks
I would Repair the shut off ... no access then get access....it is in the interest of the home owner to be able to shut water off to his home in the event of a catastrophe or plumbing failure. I have never been unable to convince them of this nessassary repair, in my opinion this repair is of higher priority than installing a irragation meter. Their is liability hear...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
woodlawnservice woodlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 557
I agree but the supply has to be shut down to repair the shutoff as well...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I would Repair the shut off ... no access then get access....it is in the interest of the home owner to be able to shut water off to his home in the event of a catastrophe or plumbing failure. I have never been unable to convince them of this nessassary repair, in my opinion this repair is of higher priority than installing a irragation meter. Their is liability hear...
Even though i agree with you, the op is asking a specific question.

Try Pollard Water. They have pert near anything for waterworks. Yes they carry pinch tools and freeze tools.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM
zman9119 zman9119 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northwest of the idiots in the corn and trees (IL)
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
...where the corpstops can't be accessed or are stuck open and we need to add in a irrigation meter...
If it is the corpstop, wouldn't that be the responsibility of the water purveyor \ department to repair versus you as the contractor?

At least here its illegal to make modifications \ repair \ replace or do anything with a corpstop or before since it is part of the water supply system and not legally part of the H\O property.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Stillwater Stillwater is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The United States
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman9119 View Post
If it is the corpstop, wouldn't that be the responsibility of the water purveyor \ department to repair versus you as the contractor?

At least here its illegal to make modifications \ repair \ replace or do anything with a corpstop or before since it is part of the water supply system and not legally part of the H\O property.
This is true where I am everything up to and including the meter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,614
We still aren't hearing specifically about the curb stop. Is there one, yes or no?

Terminology note - corp stop (corporation stop) is what is directly threaded into the water main at the time a tap is made - ours are usually beneath street pavement, and even the water departments touch them only as a last resort - the shutoff that is accessible is a curb stop, and like it says, located inside the curb and accessible for operation, and I never have heard of a water department that won't make time to be sure a working curb stop is present for every one of their customers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Page generated in 0.07819 seconds with 7 queries