Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here we have a corp. Stop directly on the sadlle as stated... From there, there is no curb stop or shutoff till you get to the backside (homeowner) side of the meter... If we are installing a secondary meter and do not want to run a whole new saddle tap and corp stop we can split the main supply line and hook both meters up to the original supply line... Now all of this is inspected and approved by the city of course so they know exactly what has been done to the line.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Without a functional shutoff and you happen to have difficulty or a complication during the irragation meter install what is you plan of action ?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Sewer and water guy here

The corp is on the water main and should lead to the curb stop .If you are doing a cut in and cannot locate the curb stop. Freezing the line might your best bet. You may not have the time to wait for the city to find the curb stop. Most of the time they will have to key it for you to shut it off. This is different everywhere you go. I agree you should always have access to a shut off. I would recommend trying to see if the city would help you. They usually want to have a way to shut off the water as well. You Do not want to try to crimp the copper it will not come back. Any kink can actually cause it to wear through the copper..
2011 24' united enclosed trailer
2011 griffin dump trailer
2005 61'' ferris
2009 61'' ferris 3100
2010 36'' ferris hydro cut
2010 48'' ferris walk
2-2013 61'' snapper pro walk
Echo blowers and whips
Turfco aerator with sulky

Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuLifeLawnCare View Post
You Do not want to try to crimp the copper it will not come back. Any kink can actually cause it to wear through the copper..
There is nothing wrong with crimping as long as you use the right tools. Most DPW have a set either on their trucks or in their shop.

I prefer freeze though.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know maby I am a wuss... But I have a vision of crimping the copper pipe in this old house and only then discovering the pipe had mineral degradation and won't hold a crimp and running water with no way to stop it. Crap am I smart enough to feel stupid? I can hear my insurance adjuster now... Ok run this by me again you cut into the main line with out a functional what? I suppose you could keep crimping as long as you have enough lead pipe. Do those crimpers restore the I'D of the pipe ?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
There is nothing wrong with crimping as long as you use the right tools. Most DPW have a set either on their trucks or in their shop.

I prefer freeze though.

Maby when the dpw guy is done making the crimp he could shut the water off.....lol....
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I don't know maby I am a wuss... But I have a vision of crimping the copper pipe in this old house and only then discovering the pipe had mineral degradation and won't hold a crimp and running water with no way to stop it. Crap am I smart enough to feel stupid? I can hear my insurance adjuster now... Ok run this by me again you cut into the main line with out a functional what? I suppose you could keep crimping as long as you have enough lead pipe. Do those crimpers restore the I'D of the pipe ?
Know enough to be dangerous?

7 P's
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have no curb stops here....we only have a corp stop... And I know exactly where they are 05% of time and that's be my plan of action if something went wrong.... When freezing the lines what's the sinest and cheapest options our there? Do I have o buy a "kit" and tank and all? Ive never seen it done before but have herd about it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solder your ball valve in the open position . Then close it and continue.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I don't know maby I am a wuss...
I wouldn't say that
Quote:
But I have a vision of crimping the copper pipe in this old house and only then discovering the pipe had mineral degradation and won't hold a crimp and running water with no way to stop it.
You do have a vivid imagination.
Quote:
Crap am I smart enough to feel stupid?
Dunno, maybe we will know more when you and Garrett find a few Nodes in real world conditions.
Quote:
I can hear my insurance adjuster now... Ok run this by me again you cut into the main line with out a functional what?
Vivid imagination at work again? Oh well.
Quote:
I suppose you could keep crimping as long as you have enough lead pipe. Do those crimpers restore the I'D of the pipe ?
Why don't you ask the opinion of DPW guys in your area? Odds are they have either used them, gone through a training course in their use or seen them demoed.

Personaly i wonder why all meters don't have built in stops?

Last edited by 1idejim; 09-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.