Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Review of Magnamatic 9000 & 1000

First off, I wasnt really sure where to post this, but I figured it had to do with mowing equipment so I have chosen to place it here. Mods, feel free to move it if there is a better spot.

Now I know there are reviews on this machine, but I was asked by a couple people on the site to give my opinions on these machines, so ill go ahead and throw it out there.

The machine came mostly assembled, the only thing that really needed to go on was the dust collector, which I liked. The unit felt extremely heavy duty right as I picked it up. After that all you had to do was find a spot to mount it,and plug it in. I did not want to put it on a regular bench, and have to bend over to see what I was doing. So I built a shelf type thing off my wall basically at eye level so I can see my working surface completely, if you tried looking down at it, well the dust collector unit takes up alot of room and makes working difficult. After that was built I just grabbed a level and screwed the Mag 1000 balancer into the an exposed stud next to the sharpener in my basement. So now I was ready to get into some sharpening...

I threw a blade on the balancer first to see just how far I was off, and also see which side should be ground down more. Boy was I way off!!! After that I grabbed a new blade, never sharpened, and put it on the table and adjusted the wheel up/down until it was angled like the new blade. Once I started sharpening the dull blades I realized how far off I was from the factory angle aswell!! The sharpening and balancing of the blades is rather simple and is explained in many videos so I wont go into detail on that...

Mag 9000

Pros:
-Came setup and ready to go
-Not nearly as loud as much hand held grinder
-Allows consistent sharpening of blades at factory angle
-Blades are extremely sharp and hold edge well
-Makes fast work of nicked edged blades
-Can sharpen 4 sets of blades in under 15 minutes

Cons:
-Small tables makes sharpening gator blades hard with their rolled back half
-Dust collector is big and blocks view
-Cost, most expensive unit out there I believe

Mag 1000

Pros:
-Consistent balancing of blades
-Balanced blades mean less deck noise and less vibration

Cons:
-Cant find any!

So overall im extremely happy with my purchase. It has taken even the most beat up blades and only with a couple passes get them at the correct angle and gets nicks out. At most it only took 2-3 minutes if the blade was in really bad shape, and after the blade has been sharpened by the machine one its only about a minute to sharpen and balance a blade. Here are some pictures of it, and some blades. Wish I had some before shots of some blades but I got to anxious to use it I forgot. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I hope this can help atleast a few of you out.

Just sharpened, a few nicks still present but I dont get to crazy about it.

After about 25 hours of cutting! Still sharp to the touch!

Balancing

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
First off, I wasnt really sure where to post this, but I figured it had to do with mowing equipment so I have chosen to place it here. Mods, feel free to move it if there is a better spot.

Now I know there are reviews on this machine, but I was asked by a couple people on the site to give my opinions on these machines, so ill go ahead and throw it out there.

The machine came mostly assembled, the only thing that really needed to go on was the dust collector, which I liked. The unit felt extremely heavy duty right as I picked it up. After that all you had to do was find a spot to mount it,and plug it in. I did not want to put it on a regular bench, and have to bend over to see what I was doing. So I built a shelf type thing off my wall basically at eye level so I can see my working surface completely, if you tried looking down at it, well the dust collector unit takes up alot of room and makes working difficult. After that was built I just grabbed a level and screwed the Mag 1000 balancer into the an exposed stud next to the sharpener in my basement. So now I was ready to get into some sharpening...

I threw a blade on the balancer first to see just how far I was off, and also see which side should be ground down more. Boy was I way off!!! After that I grabbed a new blade, never sharpened, and put it on the table and adjusted the wheel up/down until it was angled like the new blade. Once I started sharpening the dull blades I realized how far off I was from the factory angle aswell!! The sharpening and balancing of the blades is rather simple and is explained in many videos so I wont go into detail on that...

Mag 9000

Pros:
-Came setup and ready to go
-Not nearly as loud as much hand held grinder
-Allows consistent sharpening of blades at factory angle
-Blades are extremely sharp and hold edge well
-Makes fast work of nicked edged blades
-Can sharpen 4 sets of blades in under 15 minutes

Cons:
-Small tables makes sharpening gator blades hard with their rolled back half
-Dust collector is big and blocks view
-Cost, most expensive unit out there I believe

Mag 1000

Pros:
-Consistent balancing of blades
-Balanced blades mean less deck noise and less vibration

Cons:
-Cant find any!

So overall im extremely happy with my purchase. It has taken even the most beat up blades and only with a couple passes get them at the correct angle and gets nicks out. At most it only took 2-3 minutes if the blade was in really bad shape, and after the blade has been sharpened by the machine one its only about a minute to sharpen and balance a blade. Here are some pictures of it, and some blades. Wish I had some before shots of some blades but I got to anxious to use it I forgot. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I hope this can help atleast a few of you out.

Just sharpened, a few nicks still present but I dont get to crazy about it.

After about 25 hours of cutting! Still sharp to the touch!

Balancing

How much does something like this normally run?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.magna-matic-direct.com/

Nice review and pics! Thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good review and pics.

As the Magna Matic rep here will tell you (Gerd), try to get the blade's cutting edge square at the outer end where it meets the end of the blade. I notice that your blades are still lightly rounded off at the outer tip. That square corner/edge is critical to not leaving anything in between blades or at either end of the cut left uncut.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Good review and pics.

As the Magna Matic rep here will tell you (Gerd), try to get the blade's cutting edge square at the outer end where it meets the end of the blade. I notice that your blades are still lightly rounded off at the outer tip. That square corner/edge is critical to not leaving anything in between blades or at either end of the cut left uncut.
Yeah, many of the blades are still rounded over from the angle grinder I used before. Thanks for the heads up though, I really didn't even notice.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
How much does something like this normally run?
700 for sharpener and 200 for balancer I believe. That's MSRP I think. I bought mine cheaper off eBay I believe.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just figured out that it sharpen an ax too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that the machine sharpens the whole edge from bottom to top. My blade sharpner a different brand only sharpens the bottom edge to the half way point.very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My Review of Magnamatic 9000 &amp; 1000

Yes it does sharpen the whole width.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I noticed that the machine sharpens the whole edge from bottom to top. My blade sharpner a different brand only sharpens the bottom edge to the half way point.very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
What brand are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device