Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

inventions

Have you invented or adapted something to make your job easier?
Show us. We promise not to steal your invention, or at least to not profit from it.

For instance I discovered that I could write real small and get almost my whole price list on an adhesive mailing label. Then...I applied the sticky label to the pen I used to write my estimates and lawn analysis sheets. I wrapped the label around the pen longways. Easy. Now my price list is always with me. And, if you are good with your computer printer...change the font to real small...and let the printer print the label. Clear and accurate. Cover your price list pen with clear tape if needed. Make a spare--you could lose it. Naturally you could put other information here also or instead...for instance your pesticide fill chart.

Second pen trick. I found that I could use clear tape to tape a long magnet to my pen I used for filling out invoices. Then...I could stick the pen to any metal spot in my truck--and it was always handy within easy reach.
Of course, my new truck has a lot of plastic, so I had search for a few minutes to find some steel on which to stick it.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Andy at lt rich does the inventing for me. Love what they put out.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a great idea for a thread. Thanks Riggle, I will enjoy reading this one.

I have a few. Need to find some pictures.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a shovel I had made for picking up (chalk) foul lines on baseball fields. I took the neck/hosel from an irrigation trenching shovel I wore out and had this pan bent and welded up. It works well. What typically gets removed from each basepath fits in a 5 gal pail, then I add that much more new material in and rake it out.
Name:  foul line shove_low resl.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  54.1 KB

This is "The Blue Tool" and the other one is called "The Big Blue Tool." I've been using the smaller one for 10 years or more. The other one was made last summer. I got tired of breaking $95 sod lifters, which led to this idea. The shafts are pipe filled with buckshot and welded shut. They are quite heavy to carry let alone use. When you get them moving there is enough momentum they cut extremely well and aren't too bad to use. I sharpen then 2-3 times a year. They work well for edging landscape beds, basepaths, etc. Even hard infield dirt doesn't slow them down. To undercut I just hold the handle about thigh high and shove the blade back and forth. To edge, the face of the tool is perpendicular to the line I am cutting, handle facing me, and I step on the top edge of the blade. They have been used a LOT to cut under the grass along basepaths and infield arc, pull accumulated infield dirt out from under the grass, then roll the grass down with a tractor tire. Start and finish the job by blasting with a strong hose nozzle. The little one is handy for irrigation repairs too, like its sod-lifter parent.
Name:  blue tools_low res.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
This is a great idea for a thread. Thanks Riggle, I will enjoy reading this one.

I have a few. Need to find some pictures.
I'll follow along as well. I like seeing what others come up with.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess everyone here with an idea/invention plan to act upon it some day. lol

Come om guys, lets get this thread rolling. Everyone has at least one idea, lets hear yours.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the magnetic pen. Free pen--got it at a hotel. I am cheap. Handy for filling out invoices. Just stick it to something steel in your truck. Have a spare for the day the ink runs out. Of course, if your truck is all plastic...you have to glue some velcro on the pen, (and your truck.)

And secondly, it is possible to fit almost my whole price list on my pen using a stick-on address label.
The label only goes about half-way around the pen...so 50 more prices could be added with a second label. Cover it all with clear tape. The label shows the sqft as thousands--I omitted the actual prices. Write small. Or it might take a few tries to get your computer to print the label--a special pen for each truck or pocket for your crew.
Naturally, any other information--such as a list of weeds, sales points, or up-sells could be right on your salesman's pen.

What information would you put on your--"Don't forget pen"?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Aluminum verticutter

I do a lot of lake properties that I have to carry my verticutter down long flights of stairs. The steel ones are too heavy for me to carry so I had my Dad who has a welding and fabrication shop design and build me an aluminum version. This pic is when it was nearly done. The blades are fully enclosed. I've used it for 3 weeks now. I love this thing.
He also made me a 48" verticutter/seeder that I pull behind my ZSpray. What a timesaver on the big props.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf aluminum verticutter pdf.pdf (232.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is the link to my 48" one. It now has a 14 hp engine and an electric clutch.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=376422
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are both sweet Snowy66!

Check out his thread guys.