Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Where Do I find Out WHEN & WHERE to bid on commercial lawns

Looking to grow my business by getting more COMMERCIAL lawn care Accounts. Looking to put bids on franchises such as National Banks, Walgreens & Rite Aids, Etc! I just dont have a clue where to do this at? I've went to my local Walgreens and Rite-aids etc But when I ask them about their yard maintenance they all say they have no clue?

Any help would be great! thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Walgreens has no clue about it because they don't have control over it on a store basis. They have a national maintenance company taking care of it. You're probably better of trying to get some mom and pop places and not national chain stores. As for when and where- just go in any time and ask for the property manager or owner give them a business card and tell them in short what you do and that you'd like an opportunity to give them a price. If they don't get the chance on the spot they may or may not remember you when the time comes. I did this to an apartment complex last year for snow removal. The guy called me and asked me to bid it and never heard anything back, last week he called me and told me to come and talk to him about it and see what happens this year.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually walk in and ask. I also stick to big chains, but I deal with alot of restaurants. They are mostly franchised out, and use local lawn guys. Most of them dont want to deal with it until february or later, but Ive found a few chains that have to lock down their budgets by January, so I hit up several spots in november when its starting to cross their minds. Thats also a good time to have them remember how crappy their last guy was. Any time I can I walk in with a printed bid in my hand. They may not be thinking of switching, but you put a number in front of them right away and they might remember theyre in business to make money, if you know what im saying. I always stick towards restaurants, banks, and retail. Anyone who has to care what the landscaping looks like. I dont even enter the warehouse districts because those guys usually see grass as a nuisance and dont wanna put out any money to maintain. One restaurant owner, I waited till his company left, then brought him outside and showed him how bad they did. He hired me on the spot. Mean? Mabye, but they should have done right by him and I would have had nothing to show.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclawns365 View Post
I usually walk in and ask. I also stick to big chains, but I deal with alot of restaurants. They are mostly franchised out, and use local lawn guys. Most of them dont want to deal with it until february or later, but Ive found a few chains that have to lock down their budgets by January, so I hit up several spots in november when its starting to cross their minds. Thats also a good time to have them remember how crappy their last guy was. Any time I can I walk in with a printed bid in my hand. They may not be thinking of switching, but you put a number in front of them right away and they might remember theyre in business to make money, if you know what im saying. I always stick towards restaurants, banks, and retail. Anyone who has to care what the landscaping looks like. I dont even enter the warehouse districts because those guys usually see grass as a nuisance and dont wanna put out any money to maintain. One restaurant owner, I waited till his company left, then brought him outside and showed him how bad they did. He hired me on the spot. Mean? Mabye, but they should have done right by him and I would have had nothing to show.

When you said that you walk in with a bid in hand. Are you talking about an already typed up bid with prices for the year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Yessir. Keep a laptop and printer in the truck. Best time to bid a spot for me is while I'm looking at it.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yessir. Keep a laptop and printer in the truck. Best time to bid a spot for me is while I'm looking at it.

Call me dumb but I'm new to the commercial side of this industry. But I thought that commercial accounts have a contract that you have to bid on? I didn't know that you had to come up with the services that you wanted to preform.

If you could shed some light on this for me I will greatly appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Call me dumb but I'm new to the commercial side of this industry. But I thought that commercial accounts have a contract that you have to bid on? I didn't know that you had to come up with the services that you wanted to preform.

If you could shed some light on this for me I will greatly appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some do yea. The more organized ones for sure. But I don't know what it is with some of these restaurant guys but I walked in off the street and met with the regional manager. Showed him the bid for the store we were at and he had me bid six more that night and email them over. Got that one with no hassle. Some give me a bid sheet to fill out, but I always attach my own bid to theirs. Gives me name recognition. They get that logo stuck in their head while they're thinking. I'm not saying it always works, but it's never hurt me either.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Some do yea. The more organized ones for sure. But I don't know what it is with some of these restaurant guys but I walked in off the street and met with the regional manager. Showed him the bid for the store we were at and he had me bid six more that night and email them over. Got that one with no hassle. Some give me a bid sheet to fill out, but I always attach my own bid to theirs. Gives me name recognition. They get that logo stuck in their head while they're thinking. I'm not saying it always works, but it's never hurt me either.
Ahhh I see. Lol thanks for a swering some of my questions I greatly appreciate it. When. You are out bidding what typeof apapparel do you wear? Not trying to sounds like a creeper but I just got a logo made and am looking for some shirts and things but have no idea where to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Ahhh I see. Lol thanks for a swering some of my questions I greatly appreciate it. When. You are out bidding what typeof apapparel do you wear? Not trying to sounds like a creeper but I just got a logo made and am looking for some shirts and things but have no idea where to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, good question. Most of my guys wear t shirts with the logo front and back and dickies work pants on the job. I wear the same thing, but a polo shirt. Never know who you'll run in to. That's what I wear for bids too. The polos were only 5 bucks more, but so worth it.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is great to hear!!!! I greatly appreciate it. But when you refer to wearing the polo shirt you mean a collared polo right? And you put the logo on front and back of the collared polo? I'm just trying to seek some clarification that way I don't look like a moron by making some mistake or what not.
Posted via Mobile Device