Register free!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Axonopus compressus.

Took quite a undertaking to identify this pita weed invading a customers lawn.
It took numerous samples and my Extension agent a solid day to identify this stuff. I have discovered that not much in the way of information has been helpful to control this broadleaved carpet grass variety.
It will be hitting the lower 40's this weekend and highs in the lower 70's next week. Is there any chance to control this weed during the premergent a
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of turf is it invading? This is one of those tropical grasses I fight all the time. In warm season turf, Celsius, Monument, or Revolver will kill it. I notice this weed being much worse in overly wet areas that are also shaded. Does not like low mowing or the high iron liquids I use to fertilize lawns.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is the common name of this plant? Pics maybe
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys, I am sorry for the sudden stoppage of my post. My wireless router took a down load and stopped the other evening.
Greendoctor.... The choice lawn is zoysia. This weed is progressing into his fine turf from a neighbors lawn that is blanketed with this stuff. Yes, my customers lawn is thick elsewhere, however the areas of infestation is semi shaded and wet as a sponge.
I need to know if cooler temps will be successful to control this season. We have about a month or less before first lg frosts hit. I don't want to spend the cash on monument or Celsius this late in the season if it proves to be futile. I plan on doing a fall pre of pendi split and simazine. Next spring will be pendi and barricade. I want to control this stuff from seed emergence.
Like I stated, the expense of the product is of no concern to the customer..... He wants the weed gone, but my credibility of successful removal is at steak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ar,
This weed is the broadleaf version and not the other breeds that is common in other tropical regions. The leaves is long and wide with a carrot looking yellow taproot. Prostrate growing stolons and rhizomes.
I will try to get online pic as all the weed remnants is at my local extensions office.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Guys, I am sorry for the sudden stoppage of my post. My wireless router took a down load and stopped the other evening.
Greendoctor.... The choice lawn is zoysia. This weed is progressing into his fine turf from a neighbors lawn that is blanketed with this stuff. Yes, my customers lawn is thick elsewhere, however the areas of infestation is semi shaded and wet as a sponge.
I need to know if cooler temps will be successful to control this season. We have about a month or less before first lg frosts hit. I don't want to spend the cash on monument or Celsius this late in the season if it proves to be futile. I plan on doing a fall pre of pendi split and simazine. Next spring will be pendi and barricade. I want to control this stuff from seed emergence.
Like I stated, the expense of the product is of no concern to the customer..... He wants the weed gone, but my credibility of successful removal is at steak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't bother if it is getting cooler. I had a horrible time with weed control last year and part of this year. My usual herbicides do not work for crap unless it is near 90 in the day and does not go below 75 at night. Speedzone or 2,4-D ester are fine for broadleaves, but are not for sedges or grasses. I even had a treatment failure in 2010. Certainty applied to nutsedge. No sun, temperatures below 80 in the day, and nights going down to the low 60s. My mix should not have been a problem. 1.25 oz Certainly 1% MSO and 1 oz per acre Quicksilver applied through AI fan nozzles at 40 PSI. 50 gallons spray volume. In warm weather, that mix applied in that manner fries sedges in a week.

Preemerge the heck out of the lawn now and in the spring. If it shows up next year, Monument + Celsius. Since this is in zoysia, you might consider Acclaim + Turflon Ester or Ornamec + Turflon Ester.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Ar,
This weed is the broadleaf version and not the other breeds that is common in other tropical regions. The leaves is long and wide with a carrot looking yellow taproot. Prostrate growing stolons and rhizomes.
I will try to get online pic as all the weed remnants is at my local extensions office.
Posted via Mobile Device
I looked it up already. Haven't really come across this. Can you post a pic from this lawn you are dealing with.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Don't bother if it is getting cooler. I had a horrible time with weed control last year and part of this year. My usual herbicides do not work for crap unless it is near 90 in the day and does not go below 75 at night. Speedzone or 2,4-D ester are fine for broadleaves, but are not for sedges or grasses. I even had a treatment failure in 2010. Certainty applied to nutsedge. No sun, temperatures below 80 in the day, and nights going down to the low 60s. My mix should not have been a problem. 1.25 oz Certainly 1% MSO and 1 oz per acre Quicksilver applied through AI fan nozzles at 40 PSI. 50 gallons spray volume. In warm weather, that mix applied in that manner fries sedges in a week.

Preemerge the heck out of the lawn now and in the spring. If it shows up next year, Monument + Celsius. Since this is in zoysia, you might consider Acclaim + Turflon Ester or Ornamec + Turflon Ester.
I've been reading the label on Turflon and it says do not use on zoysia unless damage can be tolerated which has made me hesitant to use. Do you use turflon on zoysia and what type of damage do you see?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None. Turflon Ester applied broadcast to healthy zoysia kept at the correct height does not look any worse than other broadleaf herbicides. YMMV if it is applied to rotary mowed zoysia that is not on irrigation.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
None. Turflon Ester applied broadcast to healthy zoysia kept at the correct height does not look any worse than other broadleaf herbicides. YMMV if it is applied to rotary mowed zoysia that is not on irrigation.
Good to know. May use on a zoysia lawn next year with fusilade for Bermuda removal.