Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowing Also?

Do any of you offer mowing services in addition to fert and squirt, or do you find it's better to just focus on f&s?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing Also?

I'm a grass cutter and that's what I focus on.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have always been a decent sized mowing operation branching into the fertilize section this fall. For years we've had clients that want a "turn key" operation.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i started my business to do fert and squirt only, I have had so many requests for mowing that i added it as a service until i can build up more fert and squirt customers. Doing both has worked out great because the lawn treatments can fill in the days when i don't have alot of mowing, and vice versa. although, I still dream of a day when i can get rid of the mowers and just do lawn treatments.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Do any of you offer mowing services in addition to fert and squirt, or do you find it's better to just focus on f&s?
Mowing is for the birds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We started as a fert/WC/Aeration+ Seed company 30 some years ago.

3 years ago we started doing mowing as we got some many requests for the "turn key" (mow SCU, FCU, plow, fert) we decided to start taking them on. We currently only do about 100k a year in summer maint compared to 600k+ in fert + WC/aeration/seeding.

No money to be made in mowing, FCU+SCU yes lots, but margins are barely worth it for mowing. Nice to get customers who want everything though, a 3k customer is a good customer no matter how you look at it.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Great information. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Sponsor

Diversification will be the key to long term growth. Find the niche markets and hone your prices to be a competitive as possible. Like stated earlier Most folks with extra busy schedules and lives like turnkey operations and or one stop shopping for goods and services, esp services.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is one large company around here. We have always had a good relationship with them. We always sent our clients their way, and vice versa. When I approached him this spring about how some of our clients wanted a "turn key" company he was more willing to push me into getting me and my company certified. The fert company I'm referring about has actually branched into the greenhouse/nursery business, this after 20+ years of being in business. The owner is in his 50's and is looking at getting out of the business eventually. They run two trucks and he seldom ever goes out into the field anymore. The nursery/greenhouse has turned into his pet.

The thing about this area (southern WV/SW VA) is that it's not large enough to handle a lot of specialty or "one trick pony" businesses. If you're going to stay in business and thrive, you have to eventually start offering more services. We don't plan on trying to take over the fert business, but I do want to be able to have the knowledge and be able to provide solutions to my client's issues.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started mowing 33 years. When I first started I subbed out my fertilizing and weed control to a good friend. After 5 years of doing this he informed me that I needed to get my own license because he did not want to continue with weed control instead getting more into home spraying. I found that in our area weed control fits nicely into my mowing schedule. April is really the only month that is real hectic for getting everything done.