Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealers!

Have any of you guys had issues with dealers not wanting to trade for your used equipment. I have been trying to trade for 2 new mowers and accessories for over a month now and no one will make offer on my equipment. And one of the dealers sales what I am trying to trade in.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This time of year many dealers are a lot more reluctant to take a trade in that they will most likely have to sit on and store for the winter. Springtime is always the best time for trading in from a making out well standpoint for you, and a willingness to accept them from the dealer.

Plus, most dealers want as small an inventory as possible to have to account for, especially for tax time.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had a dealer show any enthusiasm about trading. The best that I've seen is a local Bad Boy/Grasshopper/Gravely dealer that actively helps you sell your used equipment online. He does it in good faith and tries to get all he can for you.

This approach seems to minimize the competition that used equipment might offer toward his new inventory, and at the same time makes his customers feel better about buying his new stock.

Before this guy, it seemed that every dealer I ever tried to deal with, would simply make a really lowball offer in an effort to appear cooperative, but he really didn't want to fool with the used equipment.

My $0.02,
Larry
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

friend of mine runs kubota diesel ZTRs and he trades every 3-4 years, he will let the dealer he has always dealt with know he will be trading in a few weeks and more often than not, they will have it resold before he even brings it in, his mowers normally never make it to the floor. think he gets back about half of what he has in them, dont know if its that good or not...it would be tempting to keep the last one as a spare/second mower, and trade in the one that was 7-8 yo every few years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
This time of year many dealers are a lot more reluctant to take a trade in that they will most likely have to sit on and store for the winter. Springtime is always the best time for trading in from a making out well standpoint for you, and a willingness to accept them from the dealer.

Plus, most dealers want as small an inventory as possible to have to account for, especially for tax time.
This is very true!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why in the world would a dealer want to take a trade in?
Think about it! Plenty of places to get rid of junkers. Sell it to somebody in your area so he can undercut you.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

List it here on LS.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our walker dealer takes trade in but we have always sold out right. You get more money for selling your self
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I've never had a dealer show any enthusiasm about trading. The best that I've seen is a local Bad Boy/Grasshopper/Gravely dealer that actively helps you sell your used equipment online. He does it in good faith and tries to get all he can for you.

This approach seems to minimize the competition that used equipment might offer toward his new inventory, and at the same time makes his customers feel better about buying his new stock.

Before this guy, it seemed that every dealer I ever tried to deal with, would simply make a really lowball offer in an effort to appear cooperative, but he really didn't want to fool with the used equipment.

My $0.02,
Larry
Retrodog just gave me top dollar trade for my Scag TT a month ago, and he turned it in 2 days. If that is who you are referring to. He takes trades as long as it is something he knows will move. As the other poster mentioned I normally would sell myself just don't have the time right now to mess with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by LibertyFarmLandscaping; 09-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Most commercial equipment has been beat to pieces by the the time it is traded. No way for a dealer to try to fix all that is wrong and make a profit. Plus. if he sells the used stuff to a good customer and it turns out to be a lemon it's his good name on the line. One of my local dealers will trade if it's a low hour piece and it checks out OK. Even those he will not offer top dollar on.